I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Plano 45102 Rod Case
Posted by: Ron Walter (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 07:57PM

How safe would 8' rods be if shipped in a Plano 45102 rod case on a commercial airplane flight? What precautions should be taken. Is there a better way to pack these rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Plano 45102 Rod Case
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 10:03PM

If the Plano case you mentioned is the same one I look at in the store it might work. Better, I think, and certainly cheaper, would be to ship them in something made from thick walled PVC pipe from Home Depot. I don't think you will have a problem, but it is possible that a long tube like that could get snapped in half by rolling part way out of one of the little baggage cars or getting crossways on a conveyer. They seem to get ski's through okay, but the rod tube is even longer and nastier to keep straight. My solution was to just build some 3 piece rods. You may have the makings of a couple when you get back though.

Re: Plano 45102 Rod Case
Posted by: Edward Sanborn (---.sm.centurytel.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 08:54AM

The Plano case you mention is adequate, and would likely fare well in commercial air travel.

Like the previous poster, however, I have always erred on the side of caution in commercial travel. I have a suite of "travel cases" made of schedule 40 PVC, with screw-on adapters at both ends. I use a pipe with a legnth just slightly longer than the rods to carry, and I use two female threaded adapters for the ends. These adapters are capped by male threaded plugs. The plugs have a single 1/8" hole drilled into them to allow for compression/decompression. The cases have my name and home address stenciled into two places, at opposite ends.

If you're transporting special or custom rods, I also recommend use of newspaper padding or a sock for each rod, because there's a tremendous amount of vibration that these rods will see on even short air trips. I've been dismayed to see extensive cosmetic damage to rods, even while well protected, if the rods are not protected from rubbing against each other.

It may also be a good idea to verify the regulations of the specific airline(s) you will be using for legnth of checked baggage. While enforcement may be spotty, some carriers have restrictions on the legnth of checked baggage, and I recall more than a few that specified extra charges or prohobition for objects in the 8' or greater range.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster