I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: Brian Issa (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:17PM

Hi all,
I thought I would build up a fly rod for my friend. He is getting his PhD and I figured 6 years of hard work deserves a tool for serious play. As a short of cash collage student myself, I mentioned this to his wife hoping that she might be able to take some donations from his other friends and relatives. I told her that for about 175 bucks, I could buid a nice 4wt rod. She just called and said that she rounded up nearly $500!! So now I have a problem.

For myself, I never buy high priced blanks from Loomis or Sage etc., telling myself that Dan Craft, Rainshadow and Allstar are every bit as good. I always figured that you were mostly paying for the ad campaign. Now I have basically an unlimited budget and I'm thinking that I might try them out. I don't want to buy one just becuase it's expensive or has the brand. I just want the best I can get for the money.

As this will be a backpacking rod, I'm also worried about durability. The last thing you want 5 days into a 14 day backpacking trip is to break a rod. I need to find a good balance between performance and durability.

I am planing on using high-end componants (Vernerri seat, Sic guides, etc.) But I'm at a loss for choosing a blank.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: joe klepeis (---.or2.marketscore.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 12:10AM

brian
with that kind of cash you can one of the blanks you mentioned plus get him a decent reel maybe some backing line etc.and he would be ready
to go.
joe.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 12:36AM

I'd stick with your original thoughts; then go with Joe's ideas!! It'll be a great gift!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 10, 2005 07:35AM

Brian - Dittos to the advice from Joe & Putter. Outfit this buddy as completely as you can for a back-packing trip. Classy-quality rod, reel, fly line, flies & tying materials. And, as the balance of the budget allows, maybe a new fly vest or shirt; some fly boxes, forceps, clippers, etc. Does his wife ever fish with him (even on local day trips)? Maybe SHE needs an outfit, too !

Hopefully, she's not a complete "fishing widow", and has trained herself to enjoy what her husband enjoys so much, at least within the limits of HIS comfort zone. And she has studied & respects him enough to know when he needs his "men-only" space. (Sounds like she does.) But you, Brian, can re-affirm her place in his life by at least delicately asking your buddy about this idea: "Does she need a rod, too?" I have seen many couples work very hard to achieve and advance their positions in life. And the price of that success is, of course, at the expense of TIME. Which they are likely to have less of together once he starts the awesome task of establishing himself at this new level of career competition. The good news is, he's got his PhD. Now he's at the lowest rung of the highest ladder. Maybe a rod for her would be more like flowers. Guys don't understand, but gals seem to love it. Maybe it'll just turn out to be a corner decoration. Or, ... maybe, it can help make the good thing they got going even better.

As you think of whether or not to do a rod for her (maybe even a spinner for ease of use), don't forget to include a bottle of celebration for the presentation party or the shore lunch.

And what has all this got to do with RodBuilding.Org?
Let's call it "MARRIAGE-BUILDING THRU ROD-BUILDING".
That's one sacred "assembly" that we all hoped would never come unglued.
Sincerely, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, Florida .

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 11:16AM

Brian, nothing will be indestrubable, but for a very fine blank I would consider a 4 SCIV blank made by St. Croix. In a nice rod case you will have an exceptionally nice rod built. Either use the high end Fuji titanium/SiC or some nice style ATC zirconia ring guide for customization. With a fine matched reel seat and the new wood/cork match up ATC handle set or the exotic burl rings if turning your own.
That would all come up to a top notch special occasion gift custom rod to appreciate. With a bit of feather inlay, or holographic fish decal and weave personaliztion for the name/date is an idea to go along with that.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

email: info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: January 10, 2005 06:29PM

Brian,

Make that 4 wt the 3 pc 8'4 Sig V from Dan Craft...If you're going for 3 pcs rather than 4 or 5.

Deck it out as nice as you want....and yu'll still have ton's of cash for reel, line, sock and tube.

Keith

Posted by: alex (---.cipherkey.com)
Date: January 27, 2005 03:48AM

Hi as you mentioned above, Rainshadow is your choice of rather "affordable" blanks, well maybe try RX8, 4 pcs with TiGold or blue zirconia ring single foot titanium carbide plated frame (Tich ) St. Croix SCIV could be Ok, but i'd rather choose RX8 if for the same amount of $

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster