I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on trim wraps
Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 05:52PM

I just finished my first rod and put on a hunter green trim with a gold strand in the center on each side of a bass decal on the butt section. I put a coat of finish on it and the green is now very dark and you can't tell there is any gold in it. I used Cabela's finish on it. I used the same finish on the guide wraps and there was no problem with that (the thread was metallic old with brown trim).
Should I have just put on some color preserver or is there another type of finish that I should use on my next one?

Thank you for your help.

Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on trim wraps
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:19PM

By not using Color Preserver, your thread will turn very dark and translucent. Many like that look! If you want the final color to br vibrant and pretty much look like the thread on the spool, you have to use CP. You can also use NCP thread which ends up pretty dull looking (like flat paint) and, IN MY OPINION, is not very attractive (although many will disaagree)

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:26PM

Yeah, this is part of the pain of learning. But you don't forget once you learn these things the hard way like most of us did...

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:01PM

Methinks you really wanted to do the narrow trim band with a metallic thread.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.158.186.16.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:03PM

Hi Warren. My first rod I built was a Cabelas kit. It was a green blank and it came with Gold, green, and brown thread. I beleive the reason they use that color green is that it matches there Fish Eagle series rods and blanks when no color preserver is used.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:15PM

By the Way! I forgot - Sir, your are to be commended - first rod - single thread inlay and narrow trim band - now that is a fine accomplishment to start with!!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:32PM

I agee with Bill that is a great accomplishment for a nebie
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 08:42AM

Thanks for the help and the compliments. It took me all afternoon to get it right but I'm not that upset as I figured I would make some mistakes somewhere.
The Metalic Gold that I used on the wraps came from Cabelas with a kit. The other thread I used didn't and wasn't NCP and since the guide wraps looked so good it ddidn't even occur to me to think about using the preserver on the other thread. Live and learn. I have an old broken rod that I will shortly put on some thread and see the difference between what I did and didn't do. The rod still looks pretty good but I bet that the fish won't care one bit how it looks.

Thanks again!

Warren.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster