I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Rings and vise
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:23AM

Is there a standard thickness to cork rings? Also, should I buy the "screw-vise" (for lack of a better word), or are they too easy to make? My appreciation in advance --JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Rings and vise
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:53AM

Corks clamps are easy to make if you have $5 or $10 plus a half hour's time on your hand.

Most rings are standard at 1/2 inch thickness. A few sponsors here offer them in 1/4 inch thicknesses.

Posted by: Edward Sanborn (---.sm.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:53AM

0.50" - 1/2" appears to be the standard cork ring thickness unless otherwise stated.

Cork vise/clamps are extremely easy to make, they require only two scrap pieces of wood, two all-thread (1/4" to 3/8") legnths 10-20" long, and a few nuts and washers. There are likely plans available on this site.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 10:07AM

Standard size is 1/2" by 1 1/4 " Here os a picture of a very quick and effextive clamp

[www.fishingphotos.net]

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.74.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 10:19AM

You can also use a threaded rod a couple of large washers and two nuts or wing nuts

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 10:48AM

I don't do cork on the blank so I use the same as Bill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.141.74.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 10:55AM

Also if the cork sticks to the rod, because of the glue, I use wing nuts I loosen one end and then tighten the other end and they break loose

Posted by: David Horrocks (---.131.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:06AM

Hey Mike B,

I like that!!! I've got a few pony clamps hanging around and I was going to get a section of pipe and make one with it. Looking at your photo I think I can make one like yours for the cost of the pipe alone.

GOOD JOB!!!!! TO A JOB WELL DONE

I am sure that since you have thought of this simple but effective idea you also have different diameter alignment bars for the different I.D. sizes in the cork!!!

Jim,

There are pro's and con's to everything. From a debate stand point of view I guess one would say that with the double threaded rod clamping system you can macro adjust the cork rings however much needed effortlessly. Using the center pull clamp method I guess one could argue that since you are pulling directly from both centers there is no need to make any fine adjustments.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

David Horrocks

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:55PM

Thank you all, especially Mike for the photo! I think I can "get 'er done"!
JC

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 12:57PM

Hi David,

I can't take credit. I got the idea from an old post by Bob Balcombe (thank's, Bob)!!
I use Andy Dear's mandrel(I do coat them with wax to prevent them from being glued to the mandrels) and just take them directly to the lathe for turning when done.

You can also use inexpensive threaded rod. For my use, I don't have a need for "micro" adjustments. I have also used the clamp for gluing up wood for tuening

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 03:14PM

Jim,

I went to the fly fishing show yesterday where I was fortunate to find a few vendors who had some rod building stuff and one where I bought a handful of cork rings for a fly grip. So last night I made myself a clamp. I had a ton of scrap wood lying around the basement so I grabbed a piece of 1 1/2" wide 1/2" oak, cut two 4" long pieces, stacked them up and drilled 3 5/16" holes through them. Then I cut a 2' piece of 1/4" allthread in half filed the ends smooth, slapped a fender washer and two nuts on one end of each rod. Then after gluing up the rings I put the top piece of wood on, a fender washer and wingnut on each then just tightened down as much as I could.

All told it probably took me 10 minutes to make the clamp. Of course I have a chop saw a drill press and plenty of scrap wood.

Even though I've seen them as cheap as 8 bucks or so, with how simple and easy they are to make I just couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster