I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NY Thread Art Class #1 = Success
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:32AM

3 guys showed up for the first NERDs NY Thread Art class, coming as far as 3 hours in the sleet & rain to get a hands on Demo on doing a butt wrap. Peter, Mark & Seane - thanks for showing up, I hope you guys picked up more than a few tips (I know a couple of spools of thread & epoxy were picked up and walked out of my shop, again - lol) Seane, the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake with Oreo Cookie bottom was extraordinary!

What the class consisted of was an 8 page "essay" on Advanced butt wrap techniques. There were a few charts, thread math and a bunch of tips which I know were very confusing. I think after the wrap was "done", it was much clearer. Most of the class dealt with setting up & planning a wrap. They each came with a bunch of questions, and tht made my "job" a whole lot easier. REally went way better than I could've hoped, and I think the fact they were there for 8 hours tells me they had a good experiance as well.

Next week there is one opening, and the week after that there are 4 openings. If you live somewhere in tehNOrth East and do not want to travel to Staten Island - but would like to be part of a NERDs event - please contact me and I wil try to put something together up in yor neck of teh woods. I've recieved some interest from guys in "Upstate" NY - keep in mind EVERYWHERE is Upstate of the City, lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NY Thread Art Class #1 = Success
Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.jdover01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:37AM

Glad to hear that it went good. See you next week

Mike

"Got Ink?"

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:03AM

Way to go Billy. Nice job!
Buzz

Date: January 09, 2005 09:35AM

Mike, my wife bought 3 packages of Ribs already (not Baby Back). She make her own BBQ sauce & really hooks them up as you'll see. Come with a list of questions, and a few fishing stories.

Buzz, thanks. I'm gonna be contacting you & Mark c. to see how things are going for the clubs you guys are a part of. These types of small personal types of classes/gatherings are the wave of teh future. Not taking anything away from the larger seminars & shows, which definately are a great time and you can learn a lot & see lot - but it's almost imposible to get hands on help & info which is why I feel these "clubs" will see more and more involvement as people realize just how much info they can get & how much fun they are.

It's nothing new, there are a few clubs which have been in existance for quite some time, and I've been in contact with people who run & are part of those to hear how they've been so successful & how they operate. And I've been extremely thankful to them for the help they've given me.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 01:51PM

Billy, great to hear that it went off well.

The MA NERDS gathering with the same topic,is shaping up well. Its looking like close to 25 will be in attendance. Rodbuilders may not get the same "one on one" type of experience as yours, but all should benefit.

Looking forward to talking rodbuilding with you, and all the others.

RT

Date: January 09, 2005 03:13PM

Mike - We've got some work to do before the next class(es). It's way too long and boring to sit tehre and wrap the entire wrap from scratch. LAy down 3 or 4 passes (I have teh exact time it took me), pack. HAve another rod 1/2 completed with a wrap - maybe 1 pass away from finishing up teh St. J's Cross (or whatever pattern you decide t wrap), close that & lay down a couple more passes. Then have another wrap which needs 4 or 5 passes to close - and show how you close up a wrap, then tie it off. Apply CP.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours to get through 6 passes of a St John's Cross with a shaded background. I was going pretty fast, and I was only about halfway done with the wrap. (blank circumference was 34mm). I also spent 1 1/2 hours explaining the set up and all that math & charts. I think that was time very well spent, because we were all on the same page to start.

One thing I have to remember for next week is to use threads you can see. Dark Purple on a dark Brown blank = Dumb Me. lol. I also have to show up with empty WRapping charts, becaus eI ended up having to make one before I started teh wrap. I also forgot to apply finish to one of my other rods, I will make sure to do that next time. But for teh first time it went really, really well and from my end it seemed like the 8 hours flew by.

Will give you a ring tomorrow from work, e-mail me when you're home.

Posted by: Sean Endres (69.177.44.---)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:31PM

I was at this NY class. Excellent time. Good people, good food, and best of all great host!! Billy did an excellent job. He explained things well, and answered any questions we had. And showed us how he wraps. That to me was very helpful, seeing an experienced builder wrap. I am new to thread art, all I have learned is from reading books, websites such as this one, and asking questions. Never seen a rod wrap by someone else before yesterday. Just watching Billy wrap, I learned alot of things that will be very helpful. Nothing better than the hands on learning we got yesterday. I will be at the MA. gathering also, looking forward to it!!!

Thanks again Billy!!!

Sean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2005 06:33PM by Sean Endres.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster