I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inexpensive lathe??
Posted by: Chris Chick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 05:43PM

Looking for some recommendations on an inexpensive lathe. It would be used only for shaping cork handles, so all the bells and whistles are not necessary.

Thanks,

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inexpensive lathe??
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 06:36PM

The Grizzly hobby lathe is good for cork handles. Used to be $39.95 but it the new catalog is $44.95 without the drill. If you don't have a 1/2" variable speed drill Grizzly has one for $39.95.

www.grizzly.com

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 06:54PM

Chris,

Grizzly is a good inexpensive lathe, but if you do a search here for lathe you will find pages of helpfull info.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 08:51PM

I have the Grizzly and it is fine for turning cork. If I were ordering again, I would buy a drill from Grizzly to fit the drill mount. The part of the drill that holds the chuck needs to be an inch long. I have a Champion drill that fits just right.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 02:04AM

Grizzley would be an excellant choice for what you want

[www.grizzly.com]

Mike

Date: January 09, 2005 08:58AM

Guys,

Thanks, that looks like a hard price point to beat.

How do you go about attaching items for shaping?? Is there a special chuck you can buy or amke yourself??

chris

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2005 09:33AM

Chris: That lathe works best with mandrels. The working length of the lathe bed is only about two feet. Andy Dear at Lamar sells mandrels, different diameters, get at least the 1/4" size. The tailstock has a live center and the mandrels are tooled to fit that. After turning on the lathe, you then ream the handles to fit the blank. This is descrobed in Tom K's book, though I think he's using a different lathe.

Mike Barkley devised a way to hold a rod blank, using a second headstock (purchased separately) and a wheel bearing (ditto). Works only on blanks before the guides are attached. I'm trying to figure out a way to use it with a completed rod, for replacement of cork butts, which I do a lot. No luck yet.

But, the Grizzly is a great tool. Best part is it's light enough to be portable, do your turning outside, no mess.

Date: January 09, 2005 10:35AM

Here is the Grizzley set up on a base for portability
[www.fishingphotos.net]

HJere is a pix of an extra drill holder fitted with an ATV wheel bearing
[www.fishingphotos.net] here is link to the right bearing (about $5)
[www.mfgsupply.com]
I just ordered an extra base tht the drill piece fits int and put the bearing ibto (a piece of masking tape shim was needed) and when I want to use it, I just switch out the tailstock with it. Just wrap masking tape arount the part of the blank that will be in the bearing so that it is a tight fit! On a loner blank, uou can hang a towel over the long end to prevent it from "whipping".

This set up was originall done by Ladd Flock and I just copied it

Mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2005 04:09PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: January 09, 2005 03:32PM

Guys,

Phenomenal info!!! Thanks.

I have always avoided making my own handles because I thought the cost of the lathe put it out of my reach.

Just thinking out loud here, but would this work. I like the idea of turning the handles while on the blank. 95% of the fly rods I build are 8 weight or larger. On every one I use the Pac Bay removable fighting butt set up, so I can switch the butts between sticks. Could I use a blank fighting butt mandrel as a point to attach into the drill?? And then turn my grips..

thanks again,

chris

Date: January 09, 2005 04:13PM

I'm not familiar with them, but if fits, I don't see whay not! I hust use an ils drill bit with masking tape around it. Stick it in the butt of the blank and chuck it up.

I have to say that I build my grips on a mandrel and then ream/mount them. What I use this setup for is the times when I have already installed the grip and I want to modify/reshape or sand the grip some more

Mike

Posted by: Jon Jenkins (Elrod) (---.brns.cox-internet.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:37PM

I have a homeade setup I use that allows mandrel turning of cork on turning while on the blank (that is what I do). Here is a link to an article I wrote a couple of years ago about it. I now use a sewing machine motor instead of a drill, but it's all the same. WOrks great.
[globalflyfisher.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster