I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat syringes...ideas/alternatives
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 03:15PM

Just got my order of Flex Coat Lite....but realized this morning the syringes I've been using are getting pretty gunky.(I got the larger size bottles of FC Lite...w/o syringes).

Any alternatives out there?

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat syringes...ideas/alternatives
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 03:21PM

syringes ARE alternative.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 03:53PM

Last year, someone posted a great idea that I use. Drill a small hole in the cap of each bottle; the hole should be just big enough to accept and grip the tip end of the syringe. Then, when you want to measure resin or hardener, just tip the bottle up and withdraw the appropriate measure with the syringe. You have to pull back on the syringe plunger very slowly to prevent air bubbles from being entrained into your resin or hardener (because you're creating a strong vacumn, air can slip in). Once you have your stuff drawn into the syringe, withdraw the whole syringe from the bottle cap, stand the bottle upright, then slowly push down on the syringe plunger to empty the contents into your mixing cup. Then insert the syringe back into the correct bottle cap. While I'm cleaning up after applying epoxy, I work the syringe plungers up and down a few times just to make sure that any traces of resin and hardener are injected back down into the bottles. When I buy new resin and hardener, I throw away the new bottle caps and move my old bottle caps with their syringes to the new bottles.

I can't remember who posted this info but it's sure been a great help for me.

No muss, no fuss.........

Pete K.

Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 04:01PM

I'm with Pete. And I also thank whoever it was that posted this idea. I haven't had a problem one since using this method.

floyd

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 04:21PM

I use the clipping the tip of the spout and inserting the syringes into the tip also. I use to clean out and close the syringes after use but this wound up having an adverse affect - syringes sticking. Now I don't clean out the syringes but draw the plunger almost all the way out - it's easier to get to if it sticks a bit but I think the fluid acts as a lubricate of sort. Then I keep them in a closed baggy.

I recently bought some Flex Coat Lite loaded syringes since that was all that Cabela's had in stock. After I used the last 2 cc's in each one, I stumbled across two 4 oz bottles of FC Lite that was buried in my supply box - duh. So I took the just emptied syringes and "reloaded" them - the larger syringes seem easier to use. Works for me.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 04:22PM

Flex Coat also sells pumps that I've been using. They work quite well, no problems at all with them putting out the right quantity.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 04:23PM

Remember to draw the Empty Syringes back at least Half way so they do not stick.

I mounted two pieces of PVC pipe 2" long (Dia. to fit bottle) to a piece of Wood 4"X6" to hold the Bottles. Harder to knock over!!!!

I also keep a SPARE set in my tool box. Just in case!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2005 04:26PM by Barry D Thomas Sr.

Posted by: John Anderson (---.aus.texas.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 04:25PM

You can clean out your gunky syringes and keep using them.

DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENT!!!

Take each syringe apart and wipe it out with paper towls and the end of a paint brush to get it down into the tube. Wipe off the plunger and stem and the outside of the syringe until the gunkyt stuff is gone. As long as you don't contaminate a part A syringe with part B component and vise-versa the syringe will last a long time. Then if you do as suggested in previous posts you will be set.

Flex Coat

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: January 08, 2005 06:58PM

Get U-40 syringes from Custom Tackle. The don't have the rubber plunger. For a few bucks you could get a life time supply.

Jim

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newm2.ct.charter.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 08:45PM

Keith..Walmart sells(for under two bucks each) a medicine-dispensing syringe that comes packaged with an adapter that'll fit a variety of bottle sizes; the adapter makes drillinng the cap unnecessary and gives a perfect seal for syringe holding/storage. Does the same thing Pete speaks of above,but with less potential for mess or spillage.Best rig I've worked with so far. Barry

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 09:12PM

Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons from the grocery or hardware store- will work down to 1/4 tsp - any smaller too much error. Simply fill spoon to same same visual level and pour into plastic cup. Take tip of plastic brush and scrape out last drop. Wipe with paper towell to clean after use. Use Flexcoat, LS and Glass Coat and have never had a problem except the time I used one part of resin and one part of resin.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: John Raymond (---.prxy.klmz.mi.core.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 09:49PM

I use the s.s. spoons also, found a whole set in the kitchen [wife lost hers must have bought another set]. One thing i found that works is a 6in. metal ruler, it is rounded off on one end, works great for getting the last few drops out of the spoons and i mix with it too, shot glass with rounded bottom. these rulers are 1/2 wide or less, a lot of mechanics and trades people carry them in there shirt pocket. John

Posted by: Gary George (---.nexicom.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:01PM

I have used large diameter drinking straws. Simply mark them in a similar way to the body of syringes. Dip them into your flex coat up to the mark that represents the amount you need. Block the end of the straw with a finger tip, creating a vaccum. Transfer to mixing cup. Throw away the straw. Very inexpensive, easy to find tool. I cut my straws down to about quarter length, quadrupling the number of straws and making them easier to handle. I have never had a poor mix doing it this way, it appears to be accurate enough.

Posted by: John McDonald (---.nas36.thornton1.co.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2005 04:59PM

Where is a good place to get the U-40 syringes they seem to be the best but I cant find a place to order them.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster