I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you stabilize inserts? Can I do my own?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 10:05PM

A guy gave me some walnut blocks (high grade wood but not "stabilized"). What do you use to treat the wood to make it suitable for a seat? Anything I can get at Home Depot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you stabilize inserts? Can I do my own?
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas3.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 10:35PM

If you do a search on this board for "stabilized wood" you will find at least 2 pages of topics about the pro's & con's of stabilizing wood.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 10:56PM

I've seen several methods for stabilizing wood at home but each method suffered from one problem - You need to generate a great deal of pressure. So every technique I've seen was either too superficial or had the possibility of blowing up your garage.

Check out [www.stabilizedwood.com] They do a great job, very quick, and nice people to work with.

Christian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2005 10:59PM by Christian Brink.

Posted by: Chris Marriott (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 12:12AM

I run across this product at Cue Components today.
[cuecomponents.com]
Claims to stabilize wood without pressure. Nelsonite. Does anybody out there have any experience with this product? If it's good enough for pool cues it should work on reel seats and handles.
Thanks, Chris

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 11:59AM

What about some type of finnish? put into a vacuum packer bag and vacuum pack it and let it soak for a few days??

Posted by: Edward Sanborn (209.142.130.---)
Date: January 08, 2005 12:29PM

Some points to consider with stabilizing wood:

1) Not all species are compatible with (or require) stabilization. Many tropical exotic hardwoods contain a high percentage of extractives, oils, and minerals which may not work well with with stabilization. Typically the problem is incompatibility between the wood's natural extractives and the stabilization resins.

2) The good news is that many incompatible woods do not require stabilization for durability. These woods may include members of the Rosewood family, Cedars, Ebony. Among native species, Walnut, Redwood, and Western Red Cedar are not compatible with most stabilization processess. However, note that stabilization, in addition to enhancing the durability of wood, also minimizes the inherent dimensional instability of wood. This is accomplished by displacing open spaces in the pores and vascular system in wood grain, preventing migration and absorbtion of water. Exotics which do not require or are incompatible with stbilization may have varying degrees of dimensional stability.

3) The most effective way to accomplish stabilization is by use of a vaccum as opposed to pressure. Pressure methods do work, but typically are limited in the depth of penetration of the stabilization solution. Vaccum methods remove all available air inside of the wood, and then the solution is introduced to the wood under vaccum. This process allows for complete penetration for most wood vascular models, diffuse porous as well as ring porous.

4) You can accomplish as very effective stabilizing process at home by using Tung oil, but it is time consuming, and involves repeated applications. Tung Oil is compatible with all tropical and exotic wood species I am aware of. Tung oil is applied , soaked and rubbed off in a process similar to use of "Tru-Oil". Immersing endgrain in the Tung oil will, after several applications, result in a completely sealed wood. This process is more time intensive for woods with pronounced grain and larger pores, like Walnut and Rosewoods. Catilization of the finish is greatly accelerated by sunlight and uv light. This acceleration of course, does not apply to internal areas. I recommend that wood stabilized (end grain soaking) with this process be allowed to cure for at least 10 days in warm weather, or you could see weeping of uncured finish.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 07:02PM

[www.northcoastknives.com]

If you blow yourself into the next zip-code, don't blame me!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster