I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions concerning exhibiting at a Sportsman's/Fishing show
Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.dialup.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 12:11PM

I am planning on exhibiting at a Sportsman’s Show here in the Midwest. As this is my first one I would like some input from some of you who have may have done this before. I am going to try to make the booth an interesting one to stop at. I plan on having a rod lathe set up with a rod in the process of being built, have my rod dryer going with a couple of rods on it. Having some completed rods also, though they will just be my own rods that I use as I don’t usually have some built up ahead of time for sale. Maybe some components to show more of what goes into building a real custom rod. Any input from those more experienced at this would be much appreciated.

Also some of my questions have to do with the furniture, carpet, etc. for the display. The contract company for the show has tables, carpet, chairs, signage and such for rent but I think that I could buy my own and just take them with me. Do any of you rent from the contractors or bring your own? Do you get any hassle when you bring your own equipment for your displays?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions concerning exhibiting at a Sportsman's/Fishing show
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 12:54PM

An excellent qestion and topic ! Thanks for posting. My experience with trade shows and the like is limited to other than rod buiding but I will tell you what I have experienced. Most venues have required that you rent the space, tables, chairs, dividers and such. Your signage and such must be within their specs. Electricity is provided for a fee and is usually just a drop, you must supply your own extension cords and GFI/surge protection. Most require they be commericial/industrial rated. Inquire about the use and display of all chemicals and solvents as some venues or locals require permits or have fire code restrictions. Usually most or all of this will be covered in your exhibitor's packet. Call early with questions, and document who and when you speak to ANYONE regarding EVERYTHING and try to get all answers in writing! You would not believe the disasterous situations I have seen. It's too costly and important to leave anything to risk, even if you approach this as a hobby!! To those viewing you and your booth, it wil be a direct reflection of you and your business practices, regardless. It sounds to me like you have a good set of ideas and a good plan of action. Draw your desired layout for a few friends to view and critique as well as for the promotor's rep to review. Again, you don't want to be placed where you won't get the desired viewing nor do you wan surprises on opening day. Try to design the placement of components and such so that the are viewed easlily enough, but that they don't "disappear" while you are busy with a potential client. Perhaps mounting them to display board or using large photgraphs or print ads that you may find available from manufacturers. My last piee of advice, try to strike a balance between having a nice selection of items present and easily viewable and not over crowding your booth space. I look forward to what others with more applicable experience have to offer! Best of luck !
Ray

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 01:10PM

I have a brother that has done tool shows and if you brought your own stuff you could carry it in by hand on your own but if you used a hand truck or dolly to bring your stuff in you had to hire the union help that was contracted by the exhibition hall.
Allen

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 03:39PM

I think if you get hold of the company that puts on the show in your area all those questions can be answered. Here in Washington State you are responsible for your own stuff. If it was a tool show some of the tools are heavy and have to be installed a certain way maybe that’s why a union is evolved. I tried to send you a email but your address is hidden. Where are you located and what show are you interested in. My email is warren334@myway.com
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Loper (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 10:50PM

We have worked shows all over USA, You can in most, handle your own. I do Know not to fill Booth to full, they will not want to enter, also if you have a video of your rods being used or any Video they act Like Head lighted deer!!!!! & will stop to watch & also things that they can hands on is very important.
Lots of money to spend in a short time, So Make each dollar count.
Good Luck

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: January 08, 2005 12:08AM

Greg,

One component no one has mentioned yet is good lighting. I do several shows a year and many of the venues are not nearly bright enough to show your work at its best. Directional clip-on lights can be purchased inexpensively and work well. I use from 4-6 different lights, depending on booth size. Don't forget some duct tape (white duct tape looks more "classy" -- if that's possible with duct tape <g>) to make the cords behave and prevent potential customers from tripping.

Set up a "dry-run" booth in your den for practice. Try several different arrangements till you find one that shows your work best. Bring twice as many business cards as you think you might possibly need. Ask the opinion of some female non-rodmakers. Chances are good they have a better "eye" for this thing than you or me.

One more thing... check out Dave Lewis' website at [www.performanceflyrods.com] Scroll down to the "Shows" section, and take a good look at his booth. Dave has been a successful rod maker for quite a few years, and you might glean some good ideas there.

Hope this helps,
Harry Boyd

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: January 08, 2005 09:56AM

1. Neatness and simplicity count.
2. Professional signage, direct lighting on simple displays.
3. High quality rod racks.
4. Table cloths. Experts say green is best (induces sales!)
4. Leave the "tools" back at the shop.
5. Print shop designed brochures.
6. Appropriate dress.

Posted by: Steve Parsons (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2005 10:25AM

Something you'll have to remember in designing your booth is the 'line of sight' rule. The show will not want your display blocking the line of sight of other booths, so items taller than your display booth, such as signs, a vertical rack of rod blanks, etc...., will have to go towards the back of the booth. You may ask the show how high you can go on that back curtain or wall.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: January 09, 2005 06:21AM

I think ED Michura is right on...I do shows ever year,,,and the spaces are only 10 wide and 8 deep and the price is not cheap for that 80sq feet....a nice booth can be rented or look at some co. like skyline.com...booths are expensive...we rent tables and they need to be draped....in big citys ever thing needs to be fire proof and the fire depts do check you...and if not you must remove...if you rent from show you get the right stuff...look at my web-site in pics...that booth will run you about $2500...show are great ...but be ready to spend some money to get set-up...you have got alot of good advice here from all the guys...think it over carefully and look sharp when you go to a show...and plan on working hard...show are not easy...and you will be tired at the end of the day

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.dialup.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 08:13PM

Thanks all, for the insights into doing a show. Had not thought of some of the things you all brought up. I am going to go ahead and do it and see how it goes. Thanks again. Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster