I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle length ???
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:36PM

How do know what length of handle to put on a spinning rod? Is there a standard published somewhere. I ask this because I took a 6'6" vintage solid fiberglass rod to a man once to be redone and he put a 4 1/2" butt grip and a 2" fore grip. The balance is waaay off. He used EVA and I'd like to rebuild the handle and use cork. What length should I use?

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle length ???
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:42PM

Bill,I would build it custom to the user.set the reel seat in a comfortable position and let that determine the handle size.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:03PM

Personally, I like my rear grips about 7" long for casting and spinning. Some like them shorter, some longer. It's all about what feels good.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:03PM

Personally, I like my rear grips about 7" long for casting and spinning. Some like them shorter, some longer. It's all about what feels good.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:26PM

It definitely is a personal thing with most people who fish a lot. I like the 5 1/2 to 6 inch rear grip on personal jigging rods, but I like about a 10 inch on a trolling rod so that I can rest the butt against my forearm more. I've tried 12 inch and more, but they're too long for me.
Customers that fish a lot can tell me what they like. On others, I tend to stay around the 6 to 7 inch area (on live bait rods) if they don't show a preference to me.
These are freshwater walleye rods...

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 02:52AM

A lot has to do with the type of fishing you are going after . A longer rear grip helps to relive arm fatuge. When fighting heavy fish.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2005 08:43AM

The Mudhole catalouge has some standard suggestions on a chart. It's a good place to start out. Tight Wraps, JC

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 09:16AM

I agree with all the answers above but I have on more scenario for you. I float tube a lot and even a 7" butt can get in the way. If you have a customer that is going to use a rod for float tubing, I'd reccomend a 4" rear grip on a spinning rod.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: January 07, 2005 10:30AM

Well, for bass I would typically stay between 7 and 10 inches for the rear grip. However, it is totally personal. If you are redoing this for yourself figure out where the rod will balance with the reel attached and put the seat there. If it is for a customer or friend perhaps try to get the reel they are going to use and do the same. Or see if they have a rod that they like and want the length the same.
Scott Sheets

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster