I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drying motors/apology
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:17PM

first, i apologize if i've offended anyone.

drying motors (finishing motors) seem to be very expensive -- $60, $70, $80. are there cheaper ones for the casual builder that may only build 4 or 5 rods a year?

also, can i mount a motor and use it with my homemade wrapper? can i dry the rod on the v-vhipped wood i built it on?

thanks
bruce a. tomaselli

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drying motors/apology
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:22PM

I bought a motor from Edmund Scientific, cost about $12, I think and turns at either 6 or 8 rpm, forget exactly. The motor was built to turn those goofy balls with little mirrors on them. I mounted it on an oak stand and it has served me well.

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:26PM

Bruce,
No problem about the misspost.
You can buy some motors from allelectronics.com for a couple of buck a piece and make your own dryer.
Yeah you can build it to use on your homemade wrapper, but a dryer is not needed. Alot of folks dry by hand. I use a motor from all electronics besides also using my Pacbay Rodsmith drying attachment.
If you need more info on the allelectronics motors shoot me an email and i'll hook you up.
Noel

Posted by: Steve Munster (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:34PM

I am in the process of building my 1st rod and just bought a 6 rpm motor (mounted on a small "V" stand with a 2nd "V" stand along with it) on @#$%& for $23.

Thanks guys, I have learned alot from this forum already!!

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:40PM

is there a recommended amount of rpm's for a drying motor?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 03:44PM

18 RPM is about average. I have a Pac Bay 30 RPM but have it geared for two speeds

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:06PM

Both Custom Tackle Supply and FishSticks4U carry good quality, inexpensive drying motors.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:38PM

Hey,

If you really feel broke, go steal the rotisery motor off your bar-b-que. It works.

I upgraded to a 6 rpm motor from Mudhole and bought the $20 stands to hold the motor and rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 08:59PM

Bruce try a microwave motor. You can get one from an electrical repair shop. They are cheap and very easy to instal. Turn about 12-15rpm.

Re: drying motors...
Posted by: Randy Wilinski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2005 01:48PM

Hi guys n girls,

Once again, I went on my witch hunt for an exact 18 RPM motor that was cheaper than 41 plus bucks, without any luck. So much for 18 RPM motors for me.

However, I did go to allelectronics.com and I did finally purchase a couple of motors...both for $2.50 cents each !!! Even though they are 40 RPM motors, I'll figure out how much pulley power thinking I need in order to reduce the speed, even if I have to do a double reduction.
I am DETERMINED to get my 18 RPM speed !!! lol

Anyone know the diameters of pulleys I might need in order to reduce from 40 RPMs down to 18 RPMs ???

I can make my own pulleys out of wood on a lathe if I have to, to almost any diameter. The pulley on the shaft of the motor will be about 5/8" ... about as small as I can buy in metal. A spare vacum cleaner belt will probably serve as the pulley belt. Or I can get some large rubber bands where I work for nothing.
I have lots of coffee cans around for making motor stands/pulley stands, rod drying stands, etc etc etc.

One set-up will be for an epoxy mixer. One might be for a rod dryer,or just as a spare motor...not sure yet.

About that half inch steel ball bearing for the mixing ball now...can't find that either, BUT, I do have black powder lead round balls as big as .457"...will that work, as I have quite a load of those ???

I love life's challenges like this stuff, don't you guys n girls ???
What would life be without such ... dilemmas ... I mean ... challenges ??? ;-)

Good fishing, and less cutting bait !!!;-)
Randy W.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster