I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Worst repair job ever!!!!
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:42AM

I have just completed the worst repair job ever. I got a rod in yesterday that the guy broke three guides off of and attempted to do his own repair. He took the guides and wrapped with braided line then put on a lot and I mean lot of superglue on the line. Usually you can cut the thread or line in this case and peel it back off the rod, but this guy must've tied a knot in each wrap because I could get only one revolution out of a single thread and then it would stop. I spent about 45 mins getting three guides off.
I have done repairs where guys have put fingernail polish in the wraps but never superglue, and hope I never get another one in. I may have to call and up the ante on this repair???
Noel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2005 09:43AM by Noel Spann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst repair job ever!!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:51AM

I usually had two prices for such jobs, one if I had to remove the tape, glue, crud, etc., and another if the fisherman removed it.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:59AM

One price if I do it. One price if customer watches, and another if he helps LOL!

Reminds me of my smithing days. Some guy brings in a gun completely disassembled, with the parts in a box and tells me he was just going to clean it and couldn't get it back together! Even the trigger assembly was completely taken apart!

But on the bright side Noel, once you complete a job on a mess like that... you can't help but look good!

Regards

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:04AM

Lol I like the way you guys think!!! Two different prices...GENIUS!! lol
Doug,
I hate to say it but I think I could let my two year old do it and it look better. But I do understand that most dont have the knowledge or patience to do what we do everyday with this stuff so I really cant throw any rocks here.
Noel

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: January 06, 2005 10:19AM

The first rod that I ever re-wrapped was done with thread from my mother's sewing room and superglue. It may not have looked great but it lasted until I went off to college where I lost track of the rod. I was about 10 at the time I did the re-wrap. Sometimes function is enough especially for a 10 year old. Now I’m 41 and way smarter???

I really hate superglue repairs. Most everyone chokes at the cost since “It can’t take that much effort”. I really love Doug’s watch and help option. I’d rather cut my grass than clean superglue off a blank. :-)

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:27PM

The dernest one that I ever took in was a rod that had three guides wrapped with fine copper wire and coated with JB Weld. Have seen some weird ones over the years.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 04:50PM

I just finished rewrapping a 30lb class surf rod that the owner had stripped himself. He dropped dropped it off and asked that "I make it look good".

I took one look and saw that the blank had scrapes and had some paint removed where the guides had been, had been nicked and some graphite slivers shaved off by unscrupulous use of a razor blade. Someone had also attempted to wrap over the fancy wrap, coated it with nail polish, then removed the wrap leaving a nasty film on the underlying butt wrap. It looked terrible.

At first I declined the work, then accepted with the understanding of an additional amount of money for the extra work to clean the mess up, and the understanding that the damage to the blank was already there before I started the work. Long story-short story - the owner understood that repairs are best left to people skilled in the trade.

Lou

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 05:04PM

I have a lot of re-wrap jobs come to me through a local shop i do repairs for , I give two prices also . One for me doing the stripping , the other if the owner (of the rod) does it . They usualy opt fot the latter , and I have no responcebility for any damage they do when stripping the blank. John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster