I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Cork Handles_Variations/Inserts/Combinations
Posted by: Michael Durgan (---.agcocorp.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 10:40AM

Fellow Rod Builders:

I've been building rods for 3 plus years and I have been constructing about 90% of the custom rods with custom designed cork handles. I am in the experimental mode of new patterns using inserts of rubberized cork, wood, and burl cork. I have constructed several handles with burl cork rings and the results have been very pleasing to my customers. I have also included the application of various wood stains in many of the most recent custom rod handles.

My questions for you "Pros" are:

1. Adhesion of cork to cork partial rings...what is the best product for adhesion.

2. Elimination of "lines" between cork partial rings...clamps used

3. Durability of "foam" inserts

4. Is there a standard thickness of wood inserts...Half Inch
maximum...but is an 1/8 inch too thin

5. Drill bits used to bore cork rings....Standard drill chips
more cork than cuts....Function of lack of drill speed or
lack of patience.... I've used the "Pilot" point drill bits
with more success, but need smaller sizes... Suggestions
welcome

6. Wood and Cork Ring combinations...hints and hazards

Hope these questions aren't too basic.

I have four custom cork handles in various stages of construction. I had challenges glueing the pieces and parts together. Two of the handles are ready to be bored/reamed to fit the rod blanks. The remaining two handles will incorporate wood inserts (haven't selected the wood stock yet).

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Michael Durgan
TMAC CUSTOM RODS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Cork Handles_Variations/Inserts/Combinations
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.vitalchek.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 11:04AM

Hey Micheal,

1. Adhesion of cork to cork partial rings...what is the best product for adhesion.

I like to use Elmers wood glue for the partial rings.

2. Elimination of "lines" between cork partial rings...clamps used

Say..for a checkerboard ring...I cinch the circumfrance with a plastice wire tye then clamp the flat sides with a hand clamp.

3. Durability of "foam" inserts

Dont know that.

4. Is there a standard thickness of wood inserts...Half Inch
maximum...but is an 1/8 inch too thin

There is no standard...are you kidding?...LOL

5. Drill bits used to bore cork rings....Standard drill chips
more cork than cuts....Function of lack of drill speed or
lack of patience.... I've used the "Pilot" point drill bits
with more success, but need smaller sizes... Suggestions
welcome

I use a sandpaper reemer 36 grit on cork...paddle bits on wood.

6. Wood and Cork Ring combinations...hints and hazards

Have the wood parts at the desired thinkness BEFORE sanding and sand the cork till flush. The wood has more resistance and tend to make a hump.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:12PM

I use Rod Bond for all adhesion needs. I use Ralph O's techique of applying then scraping it off (with an unsolicited credit card :) ). I leave only enough to give a consistently wet look across the entire surface. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by partial rings, but this technique consistently eliminates lines between rings and inside rings (checkerboarding).

On my lathe, I bore the ID of the rings to the smallest OD needed to fit the taper of the blank. For thin inlays of rubber, foam, etc, I use scizzors to cut the appropriate ID hole. I have a variety of sizes of all thread (coated with parrafin), washers and wing nuts that I use for clamps. I tension just enough to be firm (just before the cork starts to deform). I transfer to the appropriate sized Andy Dear mandrel for turning. After turning, I ream to fit the blank.

I have used craft foam in a variety of thicknesses and have had no problems with durability. Turning however is a different matter. The cut rate between the foam and adjoining materials can be significantly different so care in sanding is a must. Also, be careful of pressure and how long you keep the paper/sanding screen on the foam. I have seared some pieces.

I also check out auto supply and plumbing stores for gasket materials in different sizes and composites. Another source of composite cork for inlays is the cork sold in craft stores for coasters, bulletin boards, etc.

I think the the thickness is all a matter of the look you wish to achieve. To my eye, it is the pattern of repetition that is most important. I like to use patterns that contain odd numbers of inlays and contrast in colors and textures between the materials. This provides a "center" on which the eye can focus.

Posted by: Michael Durgan (---.agcocorp.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:50PM

Thanks for your input Steve. I have tried two other adhesives but have found Rod Bond to be the best.

Your comments will help me make some decisions and progress.

Thanks,

Michael T. Durgan
tmaccustomrods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:08PM

Michael,

I too prefer Rod Bond, scraping off before bonding. I have used craft foam in various thicknesses and really like it (if you use True Oil, etc for finish, test it on a tiny piece first. True Oil will darken very slightly, but on some very light colors, will slightly yellow it) I always wrap sandpaper around a flat piece of wood when sanding combinations of different material to get a smooth transition.

This is what I use for clamping cork

(Tom, I just put a link to the pix that I posted on the internet because the Photo Page is down right now. I will remove it in a couple days if that is alright with you)

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2005 01:16PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:38PM

I'll put in another vote for Rod Bond and for drilling cork rings, Forstner bits (available in all sizes) at about 1000 rpm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster