I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Seat size
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 07:49PM

Getting ready to start my first fly rod (for myself) 8 1/2' 3 pc 5wt Forecast. When browsing the catalogs to decide on a seat for it, I was surprized to see that the seats came in various lengths. I have been unable to find any explanation on the sizes and what, if anything, the numbers in the seats mean (A5, A7.U14, etc.) Spinning/casting seats are easy, 16, 17, 18, etc.

Is there a method to this or is it a plot by the fly folks to drive the rest of us crazy???????

I don't even have a reel yet (a whole new stage of confusion) so I can't measure the feet.

"Confused in Michigan"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Seat size
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 09:16PM

It is sorta loose and confusing. I really don't know if there is any reason for the numbers like U8, etc. I just assumed they are "names" and let it go at that. Fly seats generally come in 2 main diameters, around 3/4" od (.720 is common) and around 5/8" od. The little ones are used on light line rods, like 5 wt and down. the bigger one is usually used on bigger rods, like 5 wt and up.
The different seats of different styles are probably different lengths, but they don't really come in lengths. I don't think you can buy different lengths of seats in one style like a U8. It is not uncommon for me to cut a seat to acheive the minimum overall length that will work.
To build on the cheap and still have a pretty nice rod, a 16 fujii spinning seat works awful nice on a fly rod. Look at the photo page for various ways of dressing them up with inserts, etc. Or you can buy them as a skeleton seat with a wood insert. Custom tackle has some very nice aluminum seats in a pewter finish that are pretty cheap. They might be American tackle, but I am not sure. All of the pac bay seats I have seen are of the larger diameter which I don't have much use for.

The number that really matters is the "bore". You will have to shim the rod blank out to the bore size, or drill the bore out to the blank size, or buy a seat that is custom bored.

If you don't have a lathe and want to get something together fairly easy order a fuji skeleton seat with a wood insert and some of the foam arbor bricks to shim it with. Saw the barrel of the seat off to the shortest length that it can be and still accept your reel and you are set to go.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 09:39PM

Mike,
The only thing that really counts is the ID of the insert, as long as it's bigger than the OD of the blank you'll be fine. As screwy as the numbering is, you can use anything with a "3" or a "5" in the model number. The higher numbers are really for saltwater and spey rods. I personally prefer the U3 style to the A5.

Have fun.

Gerry

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:48PM

Mike , the "U" generaly stands for the UP locking style , the others will be down locking. I'm with the others as far as the #s go ......still haven't figured that one out completly . For the rod you are doing a A5, or U5 will be sufficent , and accomidate most reels you would use on that wt rod.
Fly fishing is life ......., John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:41AM

Mike,
I'm glad you asked that question. I never understood that before, but I didn't ask because I thought it might be a dumb question that everyone else knew about. I haven't built many fly rods so It wasn't that important in the past.
Ron
I guess the only dumb question is the one not asked!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster