I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Building Spec Sheet
Posted by: John Casisa (---.triactive.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:18PM

All,
I am looking for a way to better prepare for building a rod. I have quickly learned that a lot of headaches can be avoided with a little more planning.

What I was looking to do is use some sort of Spec sheet I could fill out before building a rod. I could use this sheet as a reference to make sure I have all materials and also use it as a reference when talking to people about building a rod for them. I could track guide type, blank information, spinning or caster reel required etc. Maybe even give a copy to the person wanting the rod so they know exactly what the are getting.

Does any one use a spec sheet like this or am I getting too detailed? If you do use one, would you mind sharing it?

I do not build rods for a business, but people do ask me to build rods for them. I say 'Buy the materials and I will provide the labor.'

Thanks for any help,
Happy New Year,
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building Spec Sheet
Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:32PM

Check your email - hope it helps....

Date: January 04, 2005 03:33PM

Sorry for the dupes - it was giving me an error!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2005 03:45PM

Such a sheet is on the photo page right now - look under my name and photo gallery. It ran in RodMaker some years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:47PM

Hey Andrew, you wouldn't be able to drop me a copy also, if you don't mind sharing it with me also.

Thanks

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.swiftel.com.au)
Date: January 04, 2005 08:56PM

Miles,

I've also sent you an Excel spreadsheet that I use.

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Date: January 05, 2005 09:21AM

Myles,

Just sent it out a few minutes ago.

Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:13PM

The photo page is down and if anybody could send me a copy of the spec sheet I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Warren.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:29PM

Warren,
Check you E-mail

Mike

Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (198.239.63.---)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:30PM

Mike and/or Andrew

If it's not too much trouble, I'd also like a look at the spec sheet you use. I'm hoping to develop one that can be used on a PDA.

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted by: John Casisa (---.triactive.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:57AM

Thank you all for your input, those sheets were exactly what I was looking for. There were even some details I would never even have thought of.

Since everytime I ask a question or for a assistanc I get such prompt and accurate answers, I was wondering if anyone had the winning Texas Lottery numbers for the next couple of weeks?

Happy New year and thanks for the help again,
John

Date: January 06, 2005 10:06AM

Just your luck John - I Do! But since I don't want to broadcast them, just send me your ATM card and code so I can pull out some cash to buy your ticket!

Have a good one!

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 12:51PM

Greetings John (Casisa),

I'm not a pro builder as many of you are , even so, I do use a suite of self-made spreadsheets that are based on MS Excel 2000 or higher; especially for one dealing with flyrod layout. I'll share any of these.

In particular, there is 'one' that produces a bill of materials (BOM) suitable for internet ordering; such as ordering from a Custom Tackle, Mudhole, SummerMoon, Anglers, etc. This BOM includes line-item totals & descriptions, and shipping-handling estimate, & final subtotal $'s.
For example, its 'format' looks like an everyday invoice.

And in that sense it seems to fulfill, your expressed need:
"What I was looking to do is use some sort of Spec sheet I could fill out before building a rod. I could use this sheet as a reference to make sure I have all materials and also use it as a reference when talking to people about building a rod for them. I could track guide type, blank information, spinning or caster reel required etc. Maybe even give a copy to the person wanting the rod so they know exactly what the are getting. "

The nice thing about this BOM is that it makes a lot fewer 'math' mistakes. So its 'no pain'. And even includes a place to identify the sellers catalog page no.

It also helps in calculating design related items of :
# 1 Handle design and estimating blank OD at the winding-check
# 2 Using # 1 and measurements from the 'targeted spinning reel', calculates the exact distance from the spinning reel-face to the rod tip.

I use the latter distance as a 'prime' factor in spinning rod guide layout. Yes, theres, also, a spreadsheet for spinning rod guides layout, as well.
Current project: two-pc, 30pound, 9' Tarpon rod for Shimano Stradic 6000. Its 2-pc to get past the airline travel issue.

If you have access to Excel 2k, drop me a line,
Bob

Re: trigger reelseats
Posted by: peter carroll (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 01:36PM

hi there all HAPPY NEW YEAR!! i was wondering if anyone could help meimtrying to find either fuji. or pacific bay, trigger reelseats for my surf casters one is 22mm the other is23mm have 24mm-26mm reelfitted to them

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.swiftel.com.au)
Date: January 06, 2005 06:05PM

Bob,

I'd love to have a copy if you don't mind sharing.

I also use an excel spreadsheet, but it sound's as though yours is more advanced than mine.

I can also send you a copy of mine if you'd like.

Many thanks

Andy Woodford

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2005 07:20PM

Peter,

You need to repost your question as a NEW TOPIC, Buried in a thread on Spec Sheets, it will only be seen by the people following this thread

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2005 07:21PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:52PM

Greetings Andy (Woodford),

I'll send Tarpon Rod design data. I'd suggest that you might want to play with this one.

The file is 1.4Mb and contains all the supporting spreadsheets (several) for the Tarpon Rod design.
If need be, it can be transmitted as a zip file.
Please confirm the correct email address to be used for transmittal?
Sincerely,
Bob

Posted by: Jeff Jacobi (---.hag.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 11:59PM

Bob,
If its not too much trouble would you please send me a copy of your spreadsheets too. I am new to building and I'm thinking your spreadsheets will expose things to me that I wouldn't think of and will also allow me to ballpark price an entire build so I don't end up in a runaway project situation.

The email address in my profile is valid.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2005 12:00AM by Jeff Jacobi.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster