I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'll be soon a roockie!
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 04:37AM

Hi, guys

I received my first order just a couple of days ago. As I live in Spain, it takes some days orders to arrive and, since this is the first time I'll try to build a rod, I'd like to be sure I have all what I'll need before I'll begin. Otherwise, first experience can also be the first fiasco. I've ordered some books too (Tom's "Rod Building Guide" and Clemens' "Advanced Custom Rod Building" and "Custom Thread Art"). They've not still arrived.

I'd like you to confirm that all I've ordered is enought to finish the job before I'll begin (order made to Mud Hole):

- Guide Tubing (3 references, covering from 6/64" to 39/64")
- Mixing cups and sticks
- Rod building accessory kit:
* Flexcoat rod finish kit (with syringues, brushes,...)
* U-40 Rod Bond
* Gudebrod nylon thread, size A, 100 yd
* HT Metallic thread, size A, 100 yd
- 4 x Holiday Special Rod Building Kits
* blank
* Rubber butt cap
* Cork rear & foregrips
* graphite reeel seat
* hook keeper
* Finish epoxy package - 2 parts (Pac Bay)
* Glue epoxy package - 2 parts (Pac Bay)
* Nylon thread (D) and Metallic thread (A size), 100 yd each
* guides set
* black ruber winding check
- Table clamp rod wrapper

I followed your advices and I bought 4 cheap rod building kits (29,95 USD each!!!) to learn building them.

I think I've all necssary, but let me be sure!!.

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2005 04:38AM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'll be soon a roockie!
Date: January 04, 2005 06:37AM

Hi, Rich,

I'm planning to have a Pac Bay wrapper (in the range you said), although I'm trying to get information about if I'll be able of working from 220V ac. I've heard this is a very good wrapper.

Answering to your second question, there was just darkness before the Internet!!

Things have changed quite a lot in the past ten years. Can you imagine your live without a movile phone?. I try to live without it but it's unfortunatelly impossible.

On the other hand, there is nothing like "seeing it by yourself". In fact, I'm sytudying the possibiliti of going to the National Rod Builders Show. It will be difficult, because it's a little far from Spain, but I think this is the best way to learn.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.136.111.97.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 07:01AM

I would suggest you build a few rods before you spend $300 on a rod wrapper, there are several kinds and you need a little expierence to get and idea of exactly which kind you want. some features you need and some you may not.

Date: January 04, 2005 07:08AM

Hi, Jim,

Of course, you are right.As I said, I'm just 'planning' at this moment. But as far as we're an small tackle store, we would like to offer custom rods to our customers. This market doe not exist in Spain and we will not buy any wrapper till we will see if this works or not, although I'll build my own rods for myself, with or without wrapper.

And, as I said, I'll have to see if I can use them or adapt them to be used at 220V ac. As you said, I need still a lot of experience to know required features.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 08:02AM

Danial; When you are ready to get into a Machine. You might want to look at Buying the parts you need and use a Motor that is compatable with your power Supply

Build your own

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 08:06AM

Went over your list quickly, and the only things I notice that might be missing (unless they are included in one or more of the kits you ordered) are:

arbors or bushings of some type to fit the reel seat to the blank (masking or drywall tape can be used, but graphite arbors or Flex-Coat arbors are better)

some miscellaneous things such as an X-Acto blade or single-edge razor blades, but such items can be obtained elsewhere.

Date: January 04, 2005 08:08AM

Yes, Barry, this is one of the possibilities I thought. But i don't discard to buy it already built if power supply is transformed from 110ac to 12cc (for example), so I just must to change the transformer. Another solution shouldbe changing just the motor, although I would also have problems with speed control.

But let's see specification first. And, as Jim said, it will take still some time...

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: January 04, 2005 08:51AM

I got one of those $70 flex coat hand wrappers and a $20 drying motor (MudHole) when I started a couple years ago.

They still serve me well.

I'm only wrapping about 10 rods a year, so for me, it's more of a hobby than a job.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2005 09:15AM

Another thing you are likely to need is a set of reamers to enlarge the inside hole of the cork handles so they fit the blank. You can buy those or (cheaply and easily) make your own from sections of old rods, grit (you can buy from the suppliers) and epoxy.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 04, 2005 11:52AM

I can't see a motorized rod wrapper being a necessity, even commercially. A simple stand with a couple of thread tensioners is all you need.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 04, 2005 12:44PM

denatured alcohol and something to wipe the spills or wayward adhesive rod bond.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 04, 2005 05:52PM

Daniel well done mate, you now can spend late nights swearing and cursing like I do.
check your email

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 04:24AM

Daniel, I built a rod wrapping jig some years ago with a piece of 8' timber about 5" wide and 1/2 thick. On each side I used two piece of aluminium angle and attached them to each side of the base. I then cut out 3 pieces of timber and attached 3 coaster wheels to each. These supports fitted inside the base board and were held by the aluminium angle. They are fully adjustable and can be slid into any position you want. I also rigged up a microwave oven motor and switch to one end. This simple rack is easy to used and can be used for your rod building and turning whilst applying the epoxy. This is a very inexpensive way to start and will last for years until you reach a stage where you can afford to go further.

Regards
Mark
Broken Hill. Australia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster