I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help request
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 06:02PM

I hate to sound like a bum but: I am disabled and have no income, it doesn't look like my disability is going to be approved anytime soon. I want to build my 7 year old nephew a rod for his birthday out of some old rods I have laying around the house. I am going to build a Wrapper out of some scrap lumber I have. What I need is for some of you kind souls to donate some wrapping thread (red, white, and blue), rod bond, some cork foregrip, CP, permagloss, and wrap epoxy. Everything else I have already from other rods I took apart. If you have some of these things, I would really appreciate it. And remember God will bless you for it. You'll help make a 7 year olds birthday.

Thanks,

William Bartlett
PO Box 444
583 Main St.
West Milford, WV

Bill in WV

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help request
Date: January 03, 2005 10:40PM

Huh!!! 88 views and no offers to help me? I thought better of this group. I'm not trying to rip anyone off or give a sob story. I just wanted to see how many might be willing to help a beginning rodmaker who's down on his luck right now. If it's any more incentive, I'll keep track of who sends me what and pay them back as soon as I can get some money coming in. Please won't someone help me out?? This boy's birthday is next month, and I'd like to have this rod done. But, it doesn't surprise me with all the scammers running around out there these days, terrible how just a few can ruin it for everyone. I wanted to get a program started where I fix up old or broken rods to give to kids. I even contacted a few of the major rod makers about donating their returns. They won't even do that from fear of getting burned by bogus warranty repair requests. Oh well I tried, it'll just have to wait until my disability comes through and have the money to buy the things I need.

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: January 04, 2005 12:25AM

Bill,

I can understand people being hesitant on helping. Whether it is a scam or not I do not really care. A big part of my life is helping others in need. Mind you, I do not throw my money and belongings to whom ever asks. I am cautious since I work around criminals five days a week. I have some extra things laying around that I can part with and am willing to help. I hope it will help. I sent you an e-mail.

David Banaka

Date: January 04, 2005 02:17PM

Thanks to those who responded. I can understand how people can think "Oh he's just looking for a hand out" with all the frauds that are perpetuated today. I can assure you, I am not looking for a hand OUT, just a hand UP.

Some of the ones who responded wanted to know why I was disabled. I have diabetes and developed neuropathy in my feet and legs to the point that I can no longer work. I also have arthritis in my spine to the point that I have to take muscle relaxers almost every day to be able to even move.

It's really not for me that I asked for help. I could have waited. It's for my 7 year old nephew's birthday next month that I finally broke down and asked. He loves to fish, and I just thought it would be nice for him to have his very own custom rod. And also have a momento to remember me by.

His favorite colors are red, blue, and orange. I didn't think the orange would go very well with the color scheme, so I thought I'd make the underwraps white or maybe silver metallic. I just need enough to do this one rod. You all can judge better than I how much that would be.

I have the handle from a broken True Temper Unispin rod that I'm going to attach a 6 ft' medium spinning blank from an old rod I had laying around. I want to refinish the blank then build on that.

Thanks again to those who responded, and God bless

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Date: January 04, 2005 02:17PM

Thanks to those who responded. I can understand how people can think "Oh he's just looking for a hand out" with all the frauds that are perpetuated today. I can assure you, I am not looking for a hand OUT, just a hand UP.

Some of the ones who responded wanted to know why I was disabled. I have diabetes and developed neuropathy in my feet and legs to the point that I can no longer work. I also have arthritis in my spine to the point that I have to take muscle relaxers almost every day to be able to even move.

It's really not for me that I asked for help. I could have waited. It's for my 7 year old nephew's birthday next month that I finally broke down and asked. He loves to fish, and I just thought it would be nice for him to have his very own custom rod. And also have a momento to remember me by.

His favorite colors are red, blue, and orange. I didn't think the orange would go very well with the color scheme, so I thought I'd make the underwraps white or maybe silver metallic. I just need enough to do this one rod. You all can judge better than I how much that would be.

I have the handle from a broken True Temper Unispin rod that I'm going to attach a 6 ft' medium spinning blank from an old rod I had laying around. I want to refinish the blank then build on that.

Thanks again to those who responded, and God bless

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 10:51PM

Bill,
I can't speak for anyone else, but I had to take some time to look at what I have. I too had my world turned upside down by an unexpected disability and know too well, the financial and emotional hardships it causes. And the wait?! SHeez!! On another topic... You won't find better people than those here on this board. I do think though, that if your first post was more like your last, you may have gotten a better repsonse rate. Sometimes it's hard to determine the person's integrity over the internet. That said, check your mail, take care of yourself, and keep your faith! When you need to feel better, stop by here or email one of us. Try me, I just went down that road. It's been 1 yr since I got my benefits. My head is still spinning, but Tom K. and far too many others ( you know who you are! ) have been more kind to me than I could ever imagined. I am going to Charlotte this year to meet and thank them in person finally!! You'll get through the tough parts, I did. I sure didn't plan to be where I am at 42! Welcome to your new family.
Ray

Date: January 04, 2005 11:25PM

Ray,

Guess what, you and I are the same age. I have a very good rep. who said that she feels sure she can get my benefits without going through the hearing. It just takes time. You wouldn't believe how much I am hoping that it comes through in time for the Charlotte show. I want to go soo bad!! I kinda got the message and reposted when 1 guy emailed me. I'm keeping a list and whoever sends me stuff will get it replaced as soon as I can. I've had 3 guys sofar that are sending me stuff. What I really need now is an instructional video and book. I'm like most people, I learn things better when I see it. Sometimes I have to read things through 3 or 4 times before I really understand. I've used nutrasweet so much that it's burned up my short term memory and I don't retain things as good as I used to. I want to make one other comment then I'll close. I am a born again christian and firmly believe in the scripture "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Pray for me. Any doubt will be erased if you look at my @#$%& feedback score (before I had to quit work). My username is 77bobcat2300 check it out. God bless you all.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2005 12:23AM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 09:47AM

Bill,
Send me your address via email and I'll get some video out to you ASAP. As for me, I don't expect anything in return or replacement. I'm sure that is the way the others feel as well, based on my personal experience. Like I said, let me know how I can help.
Ray

Date: January 05, 2005 03:21PM

Here is my address for anyone who would like to help.

William Bartlett
PO Box 444
583 Main St.
West Milford, WV

Again God bless you all,

Bill in WV

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster