I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for winter steelheaders - fly
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: January 03, 2005 08:12AM

I am building a rod that I hope will get used for some winter steelhead fishing up in New York where icing will be inevitable. However, the rest of the time, this rod will be used for heavy bass fishing or even light salt where icing will never be a problem. I am torn between using #7 ceramics versus oversized chrome snakes. I don't like snakes but I've heard from some that they ice up less and make winter fishing more enjoyable. Would #7 ceramics make for a miserable steelheading experience with 10 degree air temperatures? I'm going to be miserable enough just dealing with the cold, I don't really want to be angry and frustrated on top of that. What do you think I should do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for winter steelheaders - fly
Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: January 03, 2005 08:48AM

Steve,

I fish NY for steel all the time. At 10 deg you'll be fighting slush and anchor ice all day unless you are really high up on a dam controlled river so you may not be bothered by the guide icing too much. :-) You will also have to deal with ice on your line at those temps. Roll casting will help or some of the spey casts will help too. You will have less icing on the snakes and it will break loose easier also. I build all of my steelhead rods with ceramics but I’m usually fishing a pin once the crowds are gone. I try not to build with snakes over a 3 wt for the most part but have no problem building a 6 or 7wt with snakes for a hardcore winter steelheader.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Date: January 03, 2005 09:56AM

Thanks Scott. What do you mean by your next to last sentence? Is "pin" a typo or some steelheading jargon that I don't understand. Like I said, this rod will be used occassionally for winter steelhead but mostly for warmwater or saltwater. I don't want to hate the rod for bass bugging. If ceramics will still be functional in the winter, I'd rather go with them.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:05AM

Steve,
We do not get quite as cold a weather here in the Nortwest as I think that you get in the Northeast but one of the things that steelhead fishermen do here when it is much below freezing is to spray their guides with Pam several times a day. It seems to help a little with guide freezing.

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:09AM

Then I would go with the ceramics. Pin is just short for centerpin or float reel. Float fishing can be as addictive as fly fishing. I’ve been fishing a pin since the late 80’s and it’s really getting to be popular in the Great Lakes. It’s very effective.

Date: January 03, 2005 10:19AM

Thanks guys for the tips and the education. Happy new year!

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 12:41PM

Steve,
Give Phil Ptack a holler at www.floatfishingspecialties.com He's in Western NY and does a lot of that type of fishing and building. He's a great guy too. I'm in Central NY amd hope to try this type of fishing for the first time, this or next year. I too will go with float fishing over fly. I just like it better. Not sure if I'll go wit a center pin reel until I'm sure I like it though. Some even use level wind reels.
Ray

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 06:27PM

I built my winter steelhead rods with oversized snake guides they really help to cut down on the icing. But because you will also be using the rod for bass and saltwater the ceramic guides would propably be the best choice. If you do encounter a 10 degree day the pam on the guides does help.

Date: January 04, 2005 07:23AM

Thanks Ray and Josh. I have to go with flyfishing gear because I'll be going with a buddy who likes to fish the flyfishing only section on the Salmon River. From my understanding, the amount of lead on the leader makes it about as much like flyfishing as a Yugo is a European sports car but, hey, you have to have the "right" rod and reel to fish that stretch. I'm sure the fun part is hooking and playing and the lobbing/casting is sort of ugly and boring and bone-chilling.

Posted by: Steve Pratt (205.241.11.---)
Date: January 04, 2005 02:15PM

Steve, check the regs for that area, I know in Alaksa "flyfishing only" waters just means you have to use something that resembles a fly for a lure. You can use whatever style rod you want. If you're using all that lead, a spin rod may be better.
Good luck

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 09:28PM

My take on this, from using the same rod spring, summer, fall and winter trout and steelhead fishing, follows: snakes are easier to deice. #7 ceramics are a pain in the butt to deice. Snakes also cast well in warm weather, and the weight of the rod is very similar. My XP 6100 that I built with single foot fly guides is a nicer rod to feel and cast than the one with snakes, but the snakes are more enjoyable in cold weather. So this leaves the choice: Snakes, which shine in cold weather, and are very serviceable year round. Ceramics, which shine in warm weather, but are a pain in the rear in cold. I'd personally use the snakes. Keep your wraps small; 3-5 turns before jumping onto the guide foot. Whichever way you go, you'll end up building another rod for the fishery that your rod doesn't shine as well in, then another rod of another weight or action with the same guide set, then a shorter one, and then....... arggghh the madness of it all! Tight lines!

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster