I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best blank for wading rod
Posted by: George Carruthers (207.173.217.---)
Date: March 10, 2002 12:17PM

I want to build a rod for wade fishing the texas coast. I want a blank about 6'9" & very light, but strong enough to handle a redfish even though I'll use it for trout. I'll be throwing mainly TW's & plastics with light jigheads. Any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best blank for wading rod
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 03:15PM

George,

I fish the Gulf coast also and target mainly Trout and Redfish. The best rod I have come across is the G Loomis HS-9000 IMX. Sensative, light and plenty of power to hand the Reds, also a great rod for plastics/TW's although a bit pricey.

Recently I tried the IP902,903,904 IM6 in the Rainshadow, all are excellant blanks for the money. I tossed plastcis during the Fall over shell reefs and caught plenty of trout and the rods all performed great, using 1/8 oz heads and 10# line. This is a great rod for the price. Contact Bob at Custom Tackle and he will get you going.

Good Luck,

Hope your next Trout is a 14 pounder................

Pat Barnard
Pats Custom Rods

I fish the Tx coast all the time
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 04:03PM

and I use a 7.5' GL3 steelhead blank for chunking hardware.When using a popping cork or in the surf I use the 8.5' GL3.The longer rod is great on windy days(almost every day)or when I need to cast farther.One of these days I'm going to spring for the IMX.Good luck..........Kyle

Re: I fish the Tx coast all the time
Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 04:15PM

Most of our customers in that part of the country, and for the same applications, go to the IP842, 843, & 844 models in that 7' range.
Although we are experiencing folks picking up our HS9000 & 9001, as well as the 8' IP983 &964 more recently.
Bob Batson
Rainshadow Rod Blanks
Forecast Rod Components

Re: I fish the Tx coast all the time
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:18PM

George, I wade fish from Galveston to Port Mansfield, not all in one day of course, and I have gone to a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod. I seem to get better action on top waters and easier on the wrist. In December I e-mailed Bob Batson and he suggested these blanks in the 6 1/2 ft size: MB783, in the 7 ft size MB 843. St. Croix makes a rod that is 6 1/2 ft no.EC66MF (don't know the blank number) that is also on my list to build this year for myself. I normally carry an extra rod in my belt rod holder when I am making long wades so I plan to build both the Rainshadow and the St. Croix. Keep pushing water. Ellis

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:22PM

I wade fish on Long Island, mostly striped bass, bluefish and weakfish, and am using a rod that I built on a lamiglas glb 84 1L. I throw 3/8 oz jigs with no problem

Tony

Posted by: George Carruthers (207.173.217.---)
Date: March 10, 2002 06:00PM

Thanks for the responses.

The blank I was thinking of building on is a Lamiglas Perigee PW84L. Anyone use this blank?

Another thought was the Rainshadow XC842 or 843.

Posted by: Bob Batson (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:32PM

If you are looking at the "XC" models in the Rainshadow Xcel series, also take a look at the XP842 and XP843. These are the Popping actions. Either would be fine, just depends on the action that you require.
Bob Batson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster