I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PAC BAY lathe upgrade concern
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2005 12:23PM

Happy New Year to all,I was lucky enough to recieve a Pac-Bay lathe chuck upgrade from the wife for Christmas(the hints paid off).After installing it I realized the the chuck runs alot noisier than the flimsey original and also has about .050 in runout on the chuck end.I believe it to be a defect(I hope).Any feedback on this will be appricieted.The unit looks real nice and in theory should work better but my old original plastic unit ran smoother and quieter.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PAC BAY lathe upgrade concern
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2005 12:41PM

The aluminum may act as a bit of a sounding board, transmitting the vibrations down to the bed and beyond. But, you may also be dealing with a bad unit. Why not email the folks at Pac Bay and see if they can help out. The problem could be as simple as a bad bearing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2005 12:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2005 12:53PM

Hi Fred,

I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and have not found the problems you have. Mine runs smooth without noise you are discribing. Have been turning cork grips and they are coming out great (a big inprovement over the other chuck). Even turned a couple of EVA grips (very slowly as the motor really not made for that). Maybe you should contact Tom Browm at Pac Bay. If there is a problem I'm sure he'll take care of you.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2005 02:35PM

It came from Mudhole so I contacted them.I`ll see what they have to say.I was sure this was not normal especially due to the runout in the chuck.Thanks for the response,it eased my mind a bit.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 02, 2005 03:35PM

I would contact Tom Browm first and explain the problem. I bet all you have to do is send it to Pac Bay for a exchange. Pac Bay's toll free no. 1800272-2229. If Tom is not around ask for Bob Lee (CEO) orCharlie Comstock Marketing Manager. All 3 are great guys to work with
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: January 02, 2005 11:09PM

Fred,

I put the Pac Bay up-grade powerhead on my homemade wrapper about a month ago and haven't had the problems you describe. I'm well pleased with it.

Tne one you received might be defective.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.olypen.com)
Date: January 03, 2005 10:21AM

Hi Fred,

What you describe is not normal for the chuck upgrade, it should run very smooth. If you have not contacted Mud Hole yet let me know and I will get you a replacement.

Tom S. Brown
Pacific Bay International

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster