I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color process for rod blanks
Posted by: Pat Ryan (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 07:48PM

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a blank "painted". Some time back I found a builder (in virginia I think) who would process a blank and return it to you in basically any color that you could want, but have lost his contact information.

I have found very little information about this topic and would welcome any input that ya'll might have.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color process for rod blanks
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 08:00PM

Hi Pat I have mentioned this in the past. I have found out in my past experience it was to much a pain in my backside to do it my self. What I did was have the rod cleaned and prepted then I took it to a local auto body painter and had it coated with a 2 coat system. I also had them add a flex additive to the coating the same stuff they add to fiberglass cars. My rods came out great, smooth as silk. The smoothness has to do how well you prep the rod. Never use sand paper. Use a grey 3M scuff pad. Youy have a hidden email address. So I could not send you this message by email
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2005 08:47AM

Pat, Ken Preston explains and demonstrates this in his DVD. He changes a black blank to the old fenwick mustard yellow colored surf rod kind of blank.

R/
George Mason

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.205.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 09:57AM

Unless it's the new format, but you should get ( a lot ) of info with Painting Blanks or Refinishing Blanks

Posted by: Jay Ross (---.ip.fedtel.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 02:31PM

i agree with bob balcome above. auto body shop for me. he charges me 15 bucks and puts auto clear coat over the paint job. nice, smooth and PERFECT!

i don't even prep. he does that (basically because he knows i'm lazy and probably hasn't done a good enough job) for me too.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:33PM

How is he able to do this with the price of paint? are you taking him the paint?

Date: January 01, 2005 03:36PM

Thanks for all the responses. I had thought about getting someone to paint but was worried about how well the paint would hold up and if there was a type of paint touse or not use.

Once again, Thanks

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 01, 2005 03:51PM

This is from one of those old posts:

Author: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: 06-08-04 22:35 Coloring rod blanks ffdladder2@hotmail.com

I use dupli-color! I was told to use plastic coat but walmart doesnt have a very good selection of colors. What I do and It works unbeilievably. First scuff the blank with a scotchbrite pad. Wipe clean and spray two full coats of color base coat allowing an hour in between coats. Spray two more coats of clear coat and allow three days to cure. DO NOT worry about any dust or runs just leave it be for three days. after the third day fill a clean bucket or large bowl with luke warm water and add a bit of dawn dish soap. soak a small piece of 2000 grit wet sand paper in the bowl for about 20 minutes. after the twenty minutes are up start lightly sanding the blank. IMPORTANT!! make sure you keep the sand paper wet and swirl it around in the water every now and then. It's just like wet sanding a show car If any of you have ever done and paint work. You will be able to tell when its enough sanding and after the entire blank is done buff it to perfection. If you notice any bumps,dust, or runs just wet sand it out and re buff. DO NOT use any denatured alcohol or permagloss if you do this. It will take the paint off like paint remover. If you have any other questions email me and I'll answer any questions about it. It is really easy and the finish is better than any finish from the factory.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 05:29PM

For the question of the price of paint. a auto pady shop has tons of tuch up colors from privious paint jobs and with those cathey can mix up any color you want. At little cost I pay 20 bucks a rod
Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 01, 2005 09:11PM

Randy, The process you use sounds extreemly easy. I was wondering if you encounter any problems with multi piece blanks, that is does the 4 coats of paint affect the fit of the pieces?

Re: Color process for rod blanks
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 09:53PM

I've also used my airbrush to do this. Right now I'm working a deal with a friend and bodyshop owner to use his shop when it's not busy since it's warm and he has a new down draft booth and HVLP system. I can't help but play with his toys! My family has brought him enough business!! LOL Even if I use my equipment, it'll be eaier for me there. If it works out, I'll post here. I'd be happy to do the work for anyone who needs it done.
Ray

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 02, 2005 09:50PM

Pat

I just posted that because I had saved it to a My Documents file; Travis (the person who had posted it) seemed very experienced at it and this tweeked me to save it in case I had the need to color one for someone.
I have never attempted this since years ago on a few ice rods; wished I had Travis' instructions back then...

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster