I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trouble choosing the right blank
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 02:57PM

I'm wanting to match a blank to a Shimano Curado 200 BSF reel. I'm using 8lb test. What I would be using this blank for is Speckled Trout tossing 1/4-1/2 jig heads with Fin-S or Cocaho grubs. I have the reel mounted on a G-USA B70M now and it just doesn't feel right. I'm thinking a lighter/smaller tip and mod-fast or moderate action blank would be a better. Just wondering if someone who might have some suggestions or experience with this setup could help me out?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble choosing the right blank
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.180.138.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 03:10PM

I am having the same problem. I have 2 friends that have built the Loomis P844GL2 and really like it, then I saw the BESP845 from all star and hit the breaks...the all star has a much smaller butt, and weighs less than 2oz, the loomis does not list blank weights,....

because of this, I am planning on building the all star....

Good Luck !!

Posted by: chia-chien goh (---.177.118.195.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:07PM

Steve,
You didn't mention anything about blank weights like tommy did, but if blank weight isn't too much of an issue, you could try the Cape fear rods. If blank weight is an issue, I have a few suggestiongs with the two most prominent being the 7'6" 4-10 X-tra fast SCIII St. Croix spinning rod built up as a casting rod. It works beautifully, but your guide placement must be flawless. Also, the GUSA bass rods in the x-tra fast actions either 8-15 or 10-17. Both are great rods. My personal choice actually might be too light for you and that is the GUSA 6'6" or 7'0" 2-10 x-tra fast. Don't let the x-tra fast ratings throw you off. The GUSA x-tra fast in the 2-10 make incredible rods because even though the tip is incredibly soft, the rod significantly bends quite a ways down - almost like a moderate action. Only drawback is that they ain't the best for driving huge hooks home as they're too soft for that. A good Cape Fear choice (though heavier than GUSA) is the bass tech 7'0" 8-17. It's got a really soft tip, great butt power, and is forgiving to rolling and jumping fish. Hope something here helps. Cheers.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:45PM

Steve,
The Cascade Composite XP842 popping blank from Mudhole I think would cover your needs, was my favorite weight rod for bonefish and specks when I lived in Florida. A natural 8 lb test rod.

Spencer

Posted by: Paul Erwin (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 09:02PM

Steve,
I would suggest you look at the Loomis HS9000. It is available in either GL3 or IMX. I fish mine with a Chronarch and find it has a soft tip but plenty of backbone. It's 7'6" but you can shorten it from the butt if you want. Good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 09:25PM

The Cascade XP842 listed above is excellent for specs. If there are also redfish in the equation I would drop back to the IP842 which not quite as fragil. Good luck finding one - gone gone since the factory closed. I built quite a few in the past couple of years and am searching for a replacement.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: capt. ray brown (---.152.237.195.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 04:36PM

Bill,
We have the IP842 rainshadow in stock.They are the true rainshadow blanks with the warranty card.
capt. ray fishsticks4u.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster