I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrapping: alternative to thread?
Posted by: Chris Carter (---.progress.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 12:57PM

Are there any alternatives to thread for guide attachment to the blank? Pros? Cons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrapping: alternative to thread?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 01:25PM

If there is, I never heard of them.

Mike

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 01:43PM

Many of the inexpensive retail rods, especially light action surf rods made overseas, appear to have the guides affixed with tape, with epoxy over that. Even some of the "fancy butt wraps" on these rods are just tape. It takes a rodbuilder (you and me) to know the difference, which can be subtle, though very apparent when you remove the guide for repair. Do they perform well? Well, I've fished some of these rods hard in the surf for five years, and have had no guide failures.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.225.212.233.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 03:04PM

Years ago,I did a rewrap with monofilament and it worked out ok.This was before epoxy finishes were formulated and the norm. I got the idea from seeing a friend fish a Heddon(I think it was) that was wrapped with stainless steel wire. I think I have even seen a pic posted of a wrap or wraps that were done with flourocarbon mono.Very nice looking I might add.
The bottom line for me is,thread has been used for alot longer than I have been building.I get the colors and sizes that other materials can't give me. While I generally subscribe to the theory of "if it isn't broke"....
But new ideas,and the exchange of them,are what have taken this craft further than one could have only dreamed about just a few decades ago. And it is this site and others like it that have given us a way to do this very rapidly compared to the days before computers were so commonplace.Phone calls and letters with film pictures took so long to make it around,that progress wasn't very swift.Today we are very blessed to be able to learn,teach,and grow so fast. Thank you for this site Tom.And thank you for Rodmaker Magazine.
Happy New Year to all,
Chuck

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 04:13PM

I have seen but not used heat shrink tape and tubing. To me it looks like junk
Good Wra[s Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 01, 2005 10:42AM

I tore down a Chinese built rod to refurbish it and when cutting the finish to expose the thread, there was no thread, just chips of some kind of plastic. They either used some kind of heat shrink or tape then applied finish over it. The guides were solid and required cutting, later scraping, to remove.

The rod had been fished hard with no problems. The owner wanted to try a spiral wrap and the blank had the 'right' action for him.

In my younger days, we fished with 'jetty' rods which took a beating from the rocks. The guides were affixed with black tape; first 'tire' tape which was probably asphalt saturated cloth, then the new plastic tapes that appeared after the war. The guides stayed put and were replaced only because of breakage.

In my spiral wraps, I wrap the guides with masking tape while making trial spacings and the tape stays put.

I'm not advocating the use of tape instead of thread. It even bothers me to see painted trim wraps. C2

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2005 11:29AM

I know guys use electrical tape for fix ps, and a few of my friends have extra ghetto rods with the guides held on with Tommy Tape. The Tommy Tape is that stuff which "melts" into itself - it's actually very stable adn holds the guides very, very well - as good as thread. No idea of how it holds up long term, but 2 seasons of fishing and the 2 guys' rods are still with the guides in place.

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas36.philadelphia1.pa.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: January 02, 2005 05:37PM

Dental floss with Hard as Nails for finish. Only two colors avalable that I know of. No need to worry about fisheyes in the finish!
Kenenth Prager

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster