I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Selection Dilemma
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 12:03PM

My local tackle building store is great but . . . . they only handle the St Croix line of rod blanks. I've built multiple rods on several models of this brand and have settled on one in particular for making exceptional walleye jigging rods.

Now, I am getting requests from other fishermen to build rods for them. Many want duplicates on "my" walleye rod but others have different requests. Specifically, they have a "favorite" rod that they want duplicated "exactly". The issue is that I cannot always find a blank in the St Crois line that matches the butt and tip diameters, length, and action of the existing rod. In most cases, the rod is old and no longer available factory assembled or as a blank.

I've looked at the various web sites for this forum's sponsors and I've seen that there are many brands and "actions" available. My dilemma is, how do I compare a "light - fast" action in one brand with the same description in another brand if I cannot get my hands on them to flex them and compare them to the old original? Will different brands with the same descriptions flex in the same arc with the same weight applied (assuming the modulus rating of the graphite is approximately the same)?

It is not practical for me to buy a lot of blanks just to characterize the differences so I'm wondering . . . . how do you guys deal with this issue??

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Selection Dilemma
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 12:17PM

If there are any numbers or info on the blank you want to match, put them up here and I am sure some one knows what will be a close match or have some in the corner

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 31, 2004 02:57PM

Or, tell them that these are the St.Croix blanks that you build on. You take a MINIMUM down-payment of 50% of the final price on all contracts (which should be at least, or around, $100 above the total cost of all materials). Tell them if you want me to do the work and put my name on it, and warranty the parts & labor, then that's how I do business. Or some version of that speech that suits your personality and goals with these fisherman. Otherwise, they can drive all over town and get what they are looking for wherever it is that they find it. Otherwise, they will run you ragged, hunting down that "exact" blank, but it won't be quite "exact enough" for their tastes when they find out the price. No, they want it be be as "exactly" cheap in price as their 3rd-world-labor built rod. You'll have done all that work, and then get nothing for it. And to top it off, they'll make it sound like it was you who failed them. I hate to sound cynical, but can I get a witness, Brothers? -Cliff Hall, Amen-ville, FL-

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 03:04PM

Do a searc on this site for Dr. Bill Hanneman CC system. This methodology will allow you to compare blanks with like action across a wide line of manufacturers. Also get some catalogs from St Croix and other blank manufacturers and look for similar ratings of action and other physical parameters. You should be able to get some quick and dirty information that will allow you to easily go from one blank to another.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.177.118.195.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2004 05:19PM

Skip,
I fully agree with Cliff. In addition I would say that when we custom build rods, it is up to us to also know our personal limitations when building rods. It would not be smart business wise to build rods outside of our expertise for customers. If you're having trouble finding a blank that exactly fits what a customer needs, then you should tell that directly to said customer. Sometimes people ask for thigns that are not available to us at the time. That's not our fault and we should make a concerted effort to not make it too much of our own personal problems. Agreed that a builder shoudl be able to do jsut about anything, but only within our own limits. For some possible solutions, I would say the first thing you need to do is to get familiar with the different actions, hardness and softness of different blanks in regards to their listed actions and powers. These differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. The blanks I've built on the most are GUSA, St. Croix, Loomis, Cape Fear, Seeker, Shikari, Calstar. I build on those mostly because I'm familiar with their actions in regards to their listed stats. I would advise you to become familiar with the character of the product of any manufacturer that you haven't built on before. One example of differences is this: St. Croix's fast action in some of their rods actually is close to x-tra fast when compared to Graphite USA rods. I hope there's something in this post of some value to you. Good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 06:15PM

Amen Cliff,
Looking at the miniscule amount of info on casting and spinning rods/blanks on the CC data site, I don't see much help there either.
Looks like it's time to pull the my rods down and get to it.

Spencer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster