I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide size ??
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 10:04PM

On a 7 ft casting rod , what are the benefits of using a #6 guide instead of a #7 on the end ? Or is the differance marginal at best?.I hope I've explained my question correctly.
Thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide size ??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2004 10:17PM

Less weight, particularly near the tip, means that less of your imparted energy will be spent in starting and stopping the rod. It allows the rod to be more efficient that it would be with if it was heavier per the same stiffness.

You can see this effect for yourself just by wrapping a good bit of lead wire around the tip and shaking the blank a bit. Now remove the lead and do the same again. Notice how much crisper the blank feels without that extra weight there? Notice how much quicker it reacts and then comes back to a stop without the extra weight?

Okay, but how much difference will there be between a few #6 and #7 guides you ask. It's not much, but there is a difference. Enough to really feel or notice? Maybe, a little anyway. But if the smaller guides don't hamper casting distance or line/knot passage (if needed) then I'd go with the smaller guides. If you can keep all the required aspects of your rod intact while reducing weight, then lighter is better. Again, in your scenario we're really not talking very much at all. I'd use the 6's if they'll work for you, but if you must use 7's you won't ruin the rod by any means.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster