I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warning of request to build rods
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.16.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:01AM

Got an Email a few days ago. A guy in Indonesa wanted to know if I would build him some rods. That was why I asked about saltwater rods. It looked funny to me. Seems he wanted me to build a number of rods for his Tackle Store? When I questioned his paying with a credit card, and maybe using Pay Pal or that I will not buy unless I have money in hand,
Have not herd from him??
Just watch out for scams!! I knew it sounded to good to be true

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warning of request to build rods
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:04AM

Wow, that scam has moved into rodbuilding now?! Good call and thanks for the heads up Bill!

Date: December 30, 2004 11:16AM

Ever get the one where some relitive has died from a plane crash and left x-million in a bank?? That's a good one. Some where in Africa I think?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:19AM

Ditto here - Similar requests from Indonesia and Singapore. "Show me the money" - Send deposit to cover parts & we'll go from there (after the payment clears).

Date: December 30, 2004 11:22AM

Kept my fingers crossed, but, then there is another about winning a lottery?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:28AM

Lotteries, dead relatives, former oil ministers who have been jailed -- tons of them. Daily dose of drivel. And they're so transparent that it amazes me that they continue! "Send me your bank account information so I can transfer funds into your account" --- Yeah RIGHT! What's really amazing is that the FCC (or some other enforcement agency) doesn't shut this junk and the perpetrators down.

Posted by: Erik Hilliard (66.98.96.---)
Date: December 30, 2004 12:15PM

Cost to send 1 email....zero dollars

Cost to send 1,000,000,000 emails....zero dollars

Payoff when they find that one sucker....priceless

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 12:25PM

Hey, Bill- got a choice piece of property cheap for ya in Florida

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 30, 2004 01:10PM

And I'll throw in the pier that the last hurricane blew down,
just as soon as the tide brings back all the drift-wood.

Erik Hilliard - 1 or 1,000,000,000 - Now THAT'S priceless !!! -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:56PM

I'll trade ya for a bridge I got here! But ya got ta call now only $19.95 One time only don't miss this great offer blaa blaa blaa

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.214.221.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 11:07AM

"What's really amazing is that the FCC (or some other enforcement agency) doesn't shut this junk and the perpetrators down. "

i think what's REALLY amazing is some people fall for it.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: David Horrocks (---.132.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 11:10AM

Gee Whiz Guys…since I don’t have to have any rod building experience here I guess I can partake in this issue.

Today there are two ways of doing business. They are face to face and blind. The face to face is the easiest since you and your customer are one on one in person with hands on interaction. This is the safest and easiest way to do business. Everybody is happy and nobody gets hurt.
The other method of doing business it what I call the Blind method which deals with the customer and seller never seeing each other and here is where most problems arise. If I were to have a blind call requesting a dozen rods to put in there store or for their personal use there would be a number of questions I would half to ask prior agreeing to the work order.

1. I would want to know where their shop is located and could they send me a picture. This shouldn’t be too difficult since they sent me an email.
2. If I had never done work for this person/business before I would insist that they purchase one finished product first so they could verify and agree with the quality of the product they are buying.
3. If I were dealing with exact specifications to each rod I would request a deposit that would cover all the materials plus 25% of my labor cost. If the specifications were such that I didn’t feel the completed rod would sell quickly I would request a higher percentage of my labor cost in the deposit.
OR I would insist that after every 1 or 2 rods completed they purchase them
outright leaving the discount for the last rod in the order.
4. Payment would be by Credit Card, PayPal, or Western Union Money Order. There’s not much to say about Credit Card payments. If I were dealing with PayPal I would be sure that the buyer could not request their payment back. PayPal has a protection policy that allows buyers to request their payment back without notifying the seller.(It has happened to a family member!!!) Their policy is to protect the buyer/sender. Personally I find that when dealing with overseas purchases Western Union money orders works best. It’s fast, you receive same day confirmation that the money order is in transit to your mail box. Once it’s made the buyer can not recall it. Or you can have the buyer/sender wire the funds directly into a bank account. It doesn’t get much simpler that that.

Protection vital to ensure every sale is a productive sale. Nobody likes dead fish in their water. Hopefully with the four safeguards mentioned above some of you will benefit by them. Realizing that everybody conducts business in different ways, I’m sure you would want to customize a business policy best suited to your needs. I deal in website design and sales and it is company policy that I receive 100% of the payment up front since once I send you the files to your business website you have everything you need to start selling and there is no way for me to retrieve that information without leaving a copy in your computer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 07:28PM

I can under stand. Like the Pay Pal thing. But as soon as one starts asking questions and they go By BY, O well Not on the up and up. He never gave me a chance

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: January 02, 2005 09:40AM

its a scam...just hit delete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster