I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blanks for topwater bass rod (spinning) ?
Posted by: Don Eurillo (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:11PM

Happy Holidays !

My question to any and all is what makes a good topwater rod for bass, specifically length and action rather than brand ? I myself am really a trout and walleye guy, but I have a request to build a spook/pop-r rod for a friend for this purpose, so I want to do it right. Any input is gretaly appreciated.

Thanks, and as always, thanks in advance to all who respond.

Don Eurillo
deurillo2@stny.rr.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blanks for topwater bass rod (spinning) ?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 04:45AM

I would have to say, based on my experience, that my favorite length in a rod for top water lures would be one 6'6" to 6'9". I like one with an extra fast tip. When a fish hits your lure you want the rod to give a little bit. The problem most people make when first using topwaters is that they tend to take the lure away from the fish before it is hooked. With a topwater lure, don't set the hook until you feel the fish and not when you see it attack the lure. I learned this from a guide while fishing for redfish with topwaters. He kept yelling at me to slow down and wait for the fish to take the lure.

To give you an example of the rod that I now use, it is a St. Croix magbass rod with an extra fast tip. It is easy to cast, has a strong butt and the extra fast tip really makes it easy to "walk the dog."
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 30, 2004 07:11AM

I like a rod that can be anywhere from 6' to 7' long. If I am fishing in tighter areas I like the shorter rod. But sometimes I am working out in more open water and like the extra length for longer casts. Like Ellis, I like the faster tip with a strong butt section. Mostly on the longer rods, you have lots of line to take up to get a hook set, so a fairly stout rod does help.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 07:22AM

A lightweight graphite blank in the 6 to 7' range with fast to extra fast action is ideal. It power range will depend on the line and lure weight chosen, but usally medium power for the 8# mono line range works well for up to about 3/4 oz. topwaters. This also fits the range for a very good spook rod. The St. Croix line up of bass blanks now in the SCIV are probably about the best out there to consider. The SCIII (Avid) are a long standing choice for both the tournament and recreational bass angler. These have the ideal actions and performance for bass fishing.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 08:11AM

I generally agree with the above posts. I like a 6'6" rod. But I go back and forth between a medium power, extra-fast action rod and a medium-light power, fast action. The MXF is better for working the lure, but I lose more fish close to hand with that. The MLF is a compromise, but I used that mostly this past year.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 09:37AM

I don't understand the suggestions to use very fast rods (except Ellis' note that "you want the rod to give"- although he also says to get an "extra fast" rod so it's a little confusing). Topwater fishing is one of the few situations where rod sensitivity is irrelavent. This is sight fishing, you see and hear the fish rather than fishing by feel as when fishing sub-surface lures.

If ever there is a place for a slower action rod, this is it. A slower action rod will be more forgiving when fighting the fish, it will be more resistant to breaking (generally), it will cast more efficiently when using light lures, and it will be less expensive. This doesn't mean breaking out the Ugly Stick, it means looking at some of the bass blanks with med and med/fast action- being careful to match the power to the lure weight being used.

As Ellis noted, the most common problem people face when fishing surface lures is striking prematurely. The way to combat this- other than by learning to delay striking which is very difficult- is to use a slower action rod.

As mentioned above, most topwater fishermen prefer a long rod. This helps keep slack out of the line when starting buzzbaits, allows for better lure steering around logs and vegetation, and makes working a Zara Spook much easier. I would suggest you take a look at the Rogue SJ702. This is a stiff butt rod with a medium/fast action tip. It's light, inexpensive, and has a great action for topwater fishing.

Posted by: Steve Day (---.micron.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 10:59AM

Look at some of the popping blanks available. I have made a couple of rods from the Shikari blanks and they work well. You can choose from X-fast, fast or mod-fast blanks in different power ratings in 7' or even 7'6" blanks.

Posted by: Mike Applebee (---.webcelerate.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 11:00PM

I do a lot of topwater fishing for smallmouth bass and I agree with everyone on the 6'6" to 7' range on the rod. It depends on what type of boat you fish out of. If you fish from a bass boat, you are close to the water and the 6'6" rod works well, but in a multi-species boat like a Lund Pro V you would be higher off the water and want a longer rod. Most topwater baits are worked with the rod down near the water.

As far as the action is concerned, I agree with the extra fast action. It quickly becomes a chore to walk the dog with a moderate action rod. I don't believe that a slower action rod is a good solution to setting the hook too fast. As in any fishing style, proper technique must be learned. In the case of topwater fishing, the delayed hookset must be learned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster