I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new questions on guides
Posted by: Aaron Sappenfield (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:53PM

ok, so for some reason my post isn't showing up, but here it is. you guys already helped me with choosing my guide sizes, but now im looking for what type of guides to buy. now im looking at getting the sic guides from fuji, but they have a lot of different kinds. this is going to be primarily a trout rod. i plan on casting a lot of different light lures and plastics with it so i don't know what kind of sic guides i should get to best fit my needs. what will the different types do in terms of performance? i.e. the high frame guides versus the normal single foot guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new questions on guides
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 30, 2004 10:16AM

I'd dare say that is entirely up to you, Aaron, and your personal preferences. With a light-duty, fresh-water rod, the benefits of silicon carbide (which are mainly: superior heat dissipation from friction, lowest coefficient of friction, greatest hardness against line abrasion [steel files are dulled by SiC], great mechanical strength & shock resistance, and complete immunity to corrosion) are only moderately realized. Frankly, the Alconites or Hardloys are generally also up to the task. But I'll admit that the smaller ring sizes of SiC guides are somewhat more affordable, and make going all-out a very attractive prospect.

I really don't know what kind of rod you are talking about:
the rod blank? spinning or casting? application? Trout: brook or lake?
But for spinning, the YSG series (single-foot, Y-high-frame);
and for casting, the LNSG series (double-foot, tri-leg) or
the UNSG (single-foot, two-leg, low-frame) series are very nice for the SiC guides. Or even the LSG series (single-foot, single-leg), which are generally considered a fly rod guide. You certainly can use more than one style guide on a single rod. The most common example might be a double-footed first guide, followed by all single-footed guides.

The higher frames are generally better on larger spinning rods. Some builders like the LSG for their ultra-lite weight on UL rods, which may be better for your trout rod after the first three guides (or for the last two guides on your trout rod, right before the tip-top.)

For my tastes, a SiC tip-top is the first choice for all but the softest tips or lightest blanks, because of all the benefits listed above. A cracked tip-top is the fastest way to side-line your most favorite rod, and SiCs are usually the most indestructible choice. The LST or GLST (gold) tip-tops may be what you want.

IMO, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster