I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomus blanks GL3 vs IMX
Posted by: will Fetherolf (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:19PM

I am wanting to build a 6 weigh, 9' Loomus fly rod, either a GL3 or IMX. I have not seen either blank, however, from what I have read, the IMX has better performance, a dull finish, and is some what fragile. On the other hand, the GL3 has somewhat less performance, modulas, a coated finish and is not so fragile. In the past I have been using a Sage or Orvis rod, both about 10 years old, in Idaho. Are any of you familiar with either of these rod blanks and would be willing to offer an opinion? I want this rod to be the best!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomus blanks GL3 vs IMX
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:23PM

As you move up the scale you generally get a blank that is a bit more efficient, thus more "performance," but it can come at a slight cost in durability.

The IMX blanks are not at all fragile, but you can't expect to toss them in the car trunk with your golf clubs. That would break any IMX, or GL3, for that matter.

The difference between the two is slight, although definite, on both counts.

Re: Loomus blanks GL3 vs IMX
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 31, 2004 06:09AM

I have several IMX's,but mine are the discontinued 2pc models not the newer 3pc "Slate".

I can't comment on the newer IMX blanks,but many of the older ones were EXCEPTIONAL.They are very light weight,smooth,and crisp with an action on the fast side of medium fast I would say(haven't measured any with the CCS though).They are among my very favorite rods.

I've heard that the IMX's were considered more fragile as well,but mine certainly haven't been.I've banged them around in the boat,dropped them on rocks,hit them with bead heads,and all sorts over the past few years and they keep on ticking.

In fact,when I first built on one of my 6wts I actually messed up the finish on a guide and decided to cut it off and re do it.Unfortunately the razor blade slipped and it took a significant chunk(not just a cut,but litterally a chunk out of it that was well below the outer shell) out of the blank where the stripper guide foot was.I thought for sure the blank was a right off,in fact,I would have bet serious money on it,but,since the rod was finished anyways,I decided to wrap the stripper guide back on and hope for the best.That was several years ago and that same rod has seen some serious use,including casting a Teeny T-200 and landing hundreds of rainbows,pink salmon,and coho pushing 12lbs or more.

The IMX may be more fragile than some blanks,but they have been more than durable enough for me,and performance wise,they are definitely a step up from the GL3.They are lighter and crisper for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster