I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru-Oil (yes, again)
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:25PM

I'm about at my wits end with this stuff. I have no problems using it on cork grips, but with wood handles, it's driving me up a wall. I apply it thinly with my finger while the rod is turning, let it dry thoroughly, then I used sandpaper as suggested in replied to my prior post. When I sand, all I do is generate a bunch of sticky gunk. I actually believe that more Tru-Oil comes off than was applied. I have heard raves about this product on wood but unless I can get it to work properly, I'm about to just go back to Glass Coat. Any final suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks again-David Spence

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru-Oil (yes, again)
Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:37PM

Like I said the wood sounds like it's oily so you need to dry the wood out first. Let wood soak in alcohol for a day or couple hours then let dry overnight. Then try tru oil. What kind of wood are you useing?? Thanks Dave

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:00PM

The wood was not an oily type like cocobola- it was English Yew which was dry before it was turned.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:02PM

I recently tried a wood stain (the one without the varnish) on a wooden grip of about the same color. Put it on with a coffee filter and wipe off all of the excess. It looked better than Tru-Oil, IMO. Just one coat, no sanding.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:08PM

I think you need to let the Tru-Oil set a bit longer before you try to sand it. If it's coming off in rolls rather than as dust, it's not dry.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:09PM

Get rid of the sand paper , and try some 0000 steel wool. Finish your wood to what you want as far as texture with sandpaper first . Then apply a couple of coats of Tru Oil , hit it with the steel wool in between coats (after it has dried) , that's it , no sanding! Works for me. John
I just read you original posts , I think that you need to extend your drying time too, Good luck

Got Fish ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2004 07:36PM by John Dow.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:40PM

Ditto to John Dow's post. Be sure to let it dry overnight between coats
This has always worked for me.
Murf

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:39PM

David, the fact that you say "sticky junk" should be a key. You aren't giving it enough drying time. Depending on temp, humidity and how thick you put it on can change the drying time from a couple of hours to days. If what you sand is sticky, you have sanded too soon.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 11:52PM

David: When I apply it too wood, I rub it in with my finger untill it is no longer "slippery", but slightly tacky. I don't know what tihs does, but always dries hard this way.
Murf

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2004 02:03AM

I too have had all kinds of problems useing Tru Oil, thats why I dont use it anymore. I use use spar urethane in spray can or I dip my seats in my dip tank. If your going to give up on it then just put some on a scrap piece of wood like your useing and let sit for a couple days and see what it's like. I just gave up on it too quickly..I probalby will try it again someday when I go to Wal Mart and feel the urge to try it again..

Thanks Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster