I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the trade secret?
Posted by: Shawn Smith (---.as1.cmdn.mi.voyager.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 06:55PM

I just returned from a fly fishing show in Michigan. There were a few custom rod builders there. I noticed that one of them had excellent epoxy jobs on the wraps. I asked him how he got them to stop just at the edge of the wraps with such a straight and "clean" look. He informed me that he couldn't tell me because it was a trade secret. Does anyone have any advice to help me out with achieving this look on my epoxy?
I also noticed that a few of the builders were putting a small wrap underneath where the rod sections joined. They placed a dot for lining up the pieces on this wrap. What kind of paint or marker would I use to try this on my own?

Thanks,
Shawn Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the trade secret?
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 07:32PM

They probably used a gel pen(you can get them at any craft shop) Its the same thing you use for signing your rod. When you mean straight so you mean where the line of epoxy ends?? If so one of my friends found that you can slowly rotate your rod and get a nice finish. He used a paper towel soaked with rubbing alcohol, keeping a perfectly straight wrap! Works best with a drying motor
~Don~

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:53PM

There is no trade secret to getting a straight edge. Rest your hand on a block of wood as a steady rest and you can get a straight edge every time. The guy was pulling your chain or something.

Tom Kirkman's book on rod building had a chapter on getting good finishing results and I got the wood block steady rest idea out of there. It has helped me quite a bit.

You can also put a piece of draftsmans tape around the outside of the guide wrap and then peel it off after the finish has been applied but before it is dry. That type tape won't absorb finish and the edge will be very clean.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:36PM

trade secrets well ill let the cat out of the bag for you about 1/8 inch from end of the wrap on both ends apply 1 to 1 1/2 wraps of tape apply your epoxy you can even go heavy after you have let the rod turn for say 30-45 min just remove tape a little denatured on a paper towel will aid clean up if you need it will give you some awesome edges also you can make all your epoxy widths the same hope it helps John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 03:55AM

Yes, that guy was just being a smarty. All of the above work great plus attention to detail and a steady hand. Natural attributes of a good rod craftsman. Like a good brain surgeon, don't drink a load of coffee before making the cuts. The quivers don't help. On most rods I kind of slop it on and go back and clean it up. Don't spend too much time on each wrap at first. Pot life is important to get flat wraps, edges can be cleaned later. Or, like some, use the tape.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 07:45AM

Shawn,

I use the tape method described by John B. I wrap the edge of the tape where it touches the wrap gently. After removing the tape, the epoxy sags very slightly and just kisses the blank. The sagging occurs on the very end of the epoxy and the cured finish appears nice and straight and level. By the way, did that guy show you the secret rodbuilder's handshake?

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Charles DeGroot (---.trailnet.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:36AM

Shawn:

My method is actually tapeless. I use the Garcia method of application: a knitting needle rather than a brush. You must stabilize your hand, of course, but the needle allows you to approach from above and quite carefully "push" the finish onto and along the last wrap without dragging it down to the blank. As long as the finish is properly thin, it will absorb entirely into the thread and "kiss" itself down to the blank in a clean and straight manner. The application of flame for removing bubbles temporarily thins the finish further, perfecting the effect.

This method is for acheiving the result that the finish goes just to the edge of the wrap and hardly appears to touch the blank--which some of your language suggests is what you saw. In my opinion, this is the most beautiful way to finish wraps. But it has a downside: it is far easier to run the rod against an edge (of whatever--wall, table, etc.), "catch" a wrap, and possibly damage it (which is why on all my tiptops I do carry the finish just past the end of the thread wrap, to create a smoother, bumpless transition). Mind you, however, I've yet to have someone hurt a rod in this way.

Here's a little secret for you: in addition to being more asthetically pleasing, this method is far easier and quicker than straining over straight edges out in the middle of the naked blank.

Hope this helps,
Charles DeGroot

Posted by: Gene Maxson (---.eds.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:07PM

I concur with the knitting needle, it allows you to precisely apply the finish to the wrap. I will never go back to a brush.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster