I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AMTAK Matrix line
Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:29PM

Has anyone built on the matrix line from AMTAK yet? I am interested in the rod for sure but what about the casting handles? I have heard the quality may leave a little bit to be desired .... is this true. I may still order one just to see for myself because a picture doesn't always do things justice.

I am looking to build a 7'crankbait/walleye rod and wouldn't mind trying out a new look.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AMTAK Matrix line
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:48PM

The blanks I received are very good quality. No complaints on my end. And they're surprisingly crisp and light.

I have no used nor actually seen the matrix handles in person. I'm sure they'll be tons of them in Charlotte for the National Rod Builders Show.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:54PM

Right now the handles are 'backordered' direct from American Tackle. In fact the rod blanks that I wanted are also now on backorder (843's 844's). As I usually do I told them "ship when available". I ordered 6 they had one which they are shipping to me. I only needed one as a "presentation" rod - the others I'll keep in the shop as I try to keep my own small stock of parts. --- See Tom Kirkman's editorial in the latest RodMaker. I decided to have what I needed on hand (within reason).

Date: December 29, 2004 02:20PM

Thanks Tom and Ken,

I will probably just place my order for a half dozen blanks then and just one handle kit to check it out. Thanks for the mini review of the blanks Tom, I'm sure it goes without saying but your opinion was all I needed. By the way, I just received the two back issues and my first issue of my subscription of Rodmaker, and I LOVE it. We are about to get knee deep in snow here so it's perfect timing for me to try some new things.

Ken, someone should outlaw the word "backorder"! I know these vendors/manufacturers will sell whatever they can if they have it but the fact that you heard the rods are backordered just adds to the grief of the Titan guides not being available yet either (could be by now, not sure). I am hoping to build a full Matrix rod/handle w/ Titan guides as a Silent @#$%& donation for the local walleye club.... maybe I'll just send them a picture of what it will look like in 2006!

Thanks again.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 05:45PM

Andrew -- What you propose is exactly what I did. I ordered 10 blanks and one reel seat. I'm confidant that the rod blanks will be good (and will sell - especially after I make my "donation rod for the Marland Saltwater Sportfishing Association). As for "backorder" --- well I try to keep blanks, guides, reel seats on hand locally so 1/ no one has to wonder what the components look like and 2/ I don't have to tell people "it's on order". And no - the Titans are not available yet - or haven't started shipping. The other blanks that American Tackle is offering - the Elite series in dark blue should also be very nice - but they're a bit pricey for me to keep many on hand - although I have some of those or order as well.

Date: December 29, 2004 06:08PM

Ken,

I'm still on the small side of the business but I try to buy an extra blank or two everytime I place an order. I'm getting there, need to stock up on more guides though. I was really hoping to buy a dozen or so sets of the Titans before the end of the year as my next several projects are already planned for them ... hopefully they are out sooner than later.

I have one of the Elite blanks already, just a 6'6" spinning AESP782-2 for my brother. It is a very nice looking/feeling blank and I'm looking forward to building it in the next couple of weeks. They are pretty proud of them though price wise.

please let me know what you think when you get that Matrix handle kit.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 10:30PM

Any feedback on the fly blanks? I'm intrigued by some that I've been seeing on @#$%& for next to nothing....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster