I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best tip top for 2 or 3 wt fly rod
Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 12:20PM

What would be better for 2 or 3 wt fly rod using 7x tippet--a titanium carbide regular fly loop or a ceramic tip top 6mm or 7mm?

thanks

john kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best tip top for 2 or 3 wt fly rod
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:08PM

For me it would depend on what the rest of the guides were. If the other guides, except the stripper, were wire I'd use a wire loop tip top. On a rod that light, if I was using ceramics, I wouldn't use a 7mm, a 6mm is more than adequate. To me, it doesn't make any sense to use a tip top that's larger than the adjacent guides, looks goofy and doesn't accomplish anything as far as I can tell.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:14PM

Just building a 2/3 wt. I put a cerment 7mm on it. That guide is acutally lighter than the wire loop tops because of the stupid way they make the cheaper wire loop tops that I bought (big tube, little hole, heavy). I used REC some single foots and ordered the REC wire loop. It was just so ugly and the wire looked so fine that I chose to go with the extra weight of the cerment. If you want a really light top let me know and I will send you one.

Yeah, it might "look funny" up there, but you would be suprised how little time I spend looking at the tip guide when I am fishing. Looking for it maybe, but not at it.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.brns.cox-internet.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:29PM

I have built a few 3 wt fly rods and have always used the Fuji SIC 6mm tiptop. One customer fishes 300 days out of the year (retired and live right by the water) and has had no problems. I built him a 5wt with a 6mm top as well, same story. This comes to personal preference and theories, but I don't use wire guides or snakes on any rod.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:54PM

I used and REC tip top in a 3 wt I built for my son. I thought that it lacked a bit of "cosmetics." In fact I thought it was just a little on the big side, but I stuck with it because all of the guides were recoil. Now I am building three more rods so I am looking for more ideas. Since I need to order more guides, I want to get it all at once if I need another top.
thanks
john

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:03PM

I am with Gerry on this one. Whatever the other guides are. Just beware that extra weight on the tip of a 2 weight is to be avoided. The REC tip top looks clunky though. The chrome Sage RHCFL is available through Angler's and is completely round. I would use the REC with REC guides and the RHCFL with other wires. Ceramics are tricky because the unbraced tip tops are coated stainless and braced titanium ceramics look even clunkier than the REC.

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:35PM

The REC top may look a little funny , but they are extreamly light and work nice . I just ordered 2 sets of Recoils for a 1wt . and a 4wt .I am going to try the Recoil strippers this time , as I have not used them in the past . They also don't have the pretty lines and shape as a traditional stripper .......but , who cares as long as they work, and I'm sure they are light weight. Just my 2 cents. John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:39PM

John. You might consider a TATSG for a stripper. I just put one on a 0 weight with the #6 REC single foot as the next guide. Neat. I bought some REC casting and spinning strippers but didn't like the look at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster