I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept guide sizes for 6'6" light spin
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 29, 2004 04:45AM

G'day Guys,
Before I go ahead with wraping the guides on my current project. Can you confirm that my guide sizes are OK for 6'6" light spin. I plan starting with 20,12,8,6,6,6,6, tip 6.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2004 05:03AM by Myles Boon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept guide sizes for 6'6" light spin
Posted by: Peter Houston (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 29, 2004 06:06AM

Hey Myles,

Back safely in Newcastle, but cold compared to up where you are.

Mate, here is what i would use, if your interested.

Fuji Alconite (A's) single foot guides:

BYAG #25
BYAG #16
BYAG #10
BYAG #8L
BUNAG #7
BUNAG #7
BUNAG #7

BFAT #7 Tip.

Space these using the new guide concept. If you want some help with spacing, just let me know. What are you using for your grips and what length are they and what size reel seat are you using?

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:14AM

What's your reel, or general reel size, Myles? I'm guessing about the 1000/1500 size (Shimano), in which case a 25 would be fine. The 20 would work too, but may not have enough guide height, unless you use the "Y" guides from Fuji. Are your guides concept "Y"'s, regular "V"'s or high frame "M"'s?

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:36AM

I do the same as Peter w/ one more BUNAG #7

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 29, 2004 07:57AM

Ted, Shimano 1500 and using Fuji BYAG's. I had to drop down to 6 BLAG's as 8 was to big, and no 7's. I didn't thing of using BUNAG's. #7 would be better to cope with the leader knot passing through the smaller guides.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 08:33AM

I'm with Peter except I'd use BUNAG 6s instead of 7s, which is what you have anyway. The BYAG 8L is better than an 8 at the end of the drop. A tip for easy layout: once you determine where to put the butt and intercept guides, measure the distance between them, transfer them to a yardstick, then find the straight-line location for the other transition guides by taping them to that yardstick and sighting down it for the "bullseye" effect. Write it all down and transfer back to the blank. Much easier to do than on the round, unmarked blank, and you've got a permanent record of it all.

Posted by: Gregg Monbleau (---.newhav01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:08AM

Myles,

Should be no problem as long as your guides are the concept high frame type. I regularly use 20's when using 1500 size reels and really have no issues. The size 6 fly guides will be fine as well. For all my bass rods i only use size 6 and have even experimented with size 5 as well. Good luck. My next project will be a similar rod to what you are building.

Gregg

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2004 09:51AM

You need to carefully read the New Guide Concept Primer on the library page here. The reel and line path will tell you what sizes are correct for your rod.

Far too many people never get the full benefit of the New Guide Concept System because they set things up backwards - deciding on what guides they're going to use and then making the line conform to it, instead of setting up the proper line path and then selecting guide sizes and heights that conform to that path.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.002.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 29, 2004 03:56PM

Thanks Guys,

Posted by: James Wang (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 30, 2004 12:35PM

Myles,

Having built two ul/light spin rods w/alconite. Stay from from BUNAG and BYAGL 8. Use BLAG for 8 and smaller sizes as frame is sturdier and less prone to bending from not having the cut-out in the leg. Height difference on 8's is small about 2mm.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 31, 2004 03:00AM

Don't Fuji recommend the 8LJ instead of the 8L? What's the difference?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster