I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WHICH THREAD IS THE RIGHT THREAD?
Posted by: David Horrocks (---.132.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 11:28AM

Hello and thanks for all your help!

Being new to the Rod Building World I am not familiar with all the do's and don'ts there are to know about concerning the different types threads. Many of the individuals I have spoken to are telling me that being new to the hobby I should start with heavier threads (size D). I thought that was what a thread tensioning devices were for? I also thought that was why we wanted a rod wrapping station that offered the least amount of resistance allowing the blank to move freely under the slightest pressure.
Realizing there is a difference between fly rod, salt water, and fresh water materials, I’m looking at a multitude of different thread colors, types, and sizes to purchase which in itself doesn’t bother me but I have dozens of spools already that I use to tie my flies with.
I would like to know if it is acceptable to use the threads I to wrap a fly to wrap a rod? I wouldn’t use the yarns but what about the others?

Thank You

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2004 12:48PM by David Horrocks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHICH THREAD IS THE RIGHT THREAD?
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-66-68rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 12:38PM

my priamry thread is gudebrod size A nylon. that covers most of my building but i don't build heavy salt water rods. occasionally i use silk but that is rare. i would use the size that is appropriate for the application. don't worry about size A being difficult to wrap. you will pick it up very fast. practice on some scrap blanks if you can.
i would not use fly tying thread. it may be waxed. that will cause problems with finish. there are lots of threads that are not designed for rod wrapping but do have useful applications in rod wrapping. one is sulky metalic. it is available in some fabric stores. there is a flat thread from sulky but that is not what i am talking about. the metalics make nice inlays and tipping thread. you will eventually be confronted with the fact that the spool color will not be what you get on the rod unless you use color preserver. varnish and epoxy darken thread and make it blend with the blank color, thereby changing the final color. i have been using a great color preserver that i just discovered. Olympic WATER BASED polyurethane is outstanding. i believe that other water based polyurethane will work as well. your final finish goes on top of that.

Date: December 28, 2004 01:54PM

Thank You Larry,
Your reply has set me on the right path. It looks like I will be buying all new threads. Now to find someone that sells them in an all color package.
Not knowing who is who or having a favorite supplier and everybody's price are the same I will see if there are any sellers interested in putting together a package deal that will be in both of our interest$$ If I were buying one spool there would be no question on how much I would pay, but needing all the colors, it's time to shop!!! I will try our sponsors before going elsewhere on line. I've noticed some real good deals at the online @#$%& sites. It has always amazed me how sellers there sell for less and still pay both listing and selling fees.
And thank you Larry for taking the time to explain the different steps needed to ensure the color I use is the color I end up with, very interesting. I see there is a whole lot for me to learn. I have just purchased several publications regarding the various subjects and steps on rod building. Hopefully they should arrive shortly and I will be able to read up on all the different areas or rod building.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 02:11PM

MudHole has the thread set you are looking for

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 02:26PM

Personally I would not buy a "set of thread" but rather take the time to choose individual colors. I have (lots of) thread that I bought years ago and have never used. If you have patience (and good vision) start with Size A = it just looks better and will handle most any type of work you are likely to do.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 02:37PM

I do make saltwater rods and use size A thread. Sometimes when making underwraps, I will use size D just to get rid of it.

Ken gives you some good advice. You'll soon get into some favorite colors and brands and the other colors will just vegetate in your thread rack. C2

Date: December 28, 2004 02:59PM

Thank You Ken for your reply,

I have in the back of my mind several pattern ideas each with different colors to do. Though I believe there may be one or two colors that I will not use I was thinking that by buying a "set of thread" I would receive a price break. I do not intend on buying each and every size. I will purchase size "A" threads; I am also interested in a Metallic set of threads, and a couple of the braids. I don't want to waste money however if I can get a price break on all the different spools by buying "sets" and also be able to save on shipping, to have a couple extra spools isn't of major concern provided my savings is enough to cover the cost. If it isn't then I will go from door to door buying the colors as I need them.
Regarding good vision, I already have my lighted magnifier that I use when tying flies. As for the patience end, let’s just say that I consider building a rod an "Art". Like all quality works of art, it takes time and devotion. If I didn't feel I had the patience to work with the fine materials in order to produce a better looking piece, with the investment I'm making I could purchase a dozen rods from anyone and be happy using them. That's not the case though. For me there's a certain sense of accomplishment that goes along with making something that works and is a piece of art.

Date: December 28, 2004 03:03PM

Charlie Thank You for your reply,

Would you recommend buying the threads needed for one rod at a time or would you consider purchasing several colors for your initial investment?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 05:07PM

100 yard spool of thread only costs a couple of bucks. Just order a spool or 2 to start.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster