I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather Inlays
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 10:34AM

For years I've been saving the tail feathers from the first and second pheasants I ever bagged. Rather than just have them laying around I'd like to inlay them on a fly rod I'm making for myself. I've made ten rods at this point for other people, but haven't gotten around to making my own rod until now.

I've read past discussions on how to inlay feathers on rods, but these don't mention using larger tail feathers. I figure I'm going to have to use just the tips of these, but I don't want to cut into them and wreck the feather if it's going to be too difficult to inlay on the rod. I get the concept of how to inlay, but I'm concerned about the shaft of the feather being too thick on these particular feathers. Does anyone have any experience with these? Advice? Suggestions?

The rod I'm making is a 7/8 wt. 9' fly rod I'm going to primarily be using to troll leadcore with for trout. I'm pretty excited about trying this new technique, but a little apprehensive too.

~ Jackie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather Inlays
Posted by: phil coventon (---.coxinet.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 02:59PM

Jackie, you might contact Russ at Golden Witch (A rodbuilding.org sponsor) he can provide you with the answers.

Date: December 28, 2004 03:54PM

Thanks Phil, I'll drop him a line.

I was kind of hoping to get advice from some of you seasoned rod builders in this forum. You guys have given me great answers to my previous questions and I'm sure some of you have hands-on experience with feather inlays. Let me know if you think my idea will fly.

~Jackie

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.198.---)
Date: December 28, 2004 08:28PM

Jacki , I have never had any luck inlaying the shafts of feathers larger than a neck hackle , and that takes 3 or 4 coats of epoxy to cover up . I think you will be better off putting CP on the feather , and letting it dry , then use a razor and cut the barbules off the shaft .Kind of like filetting a fish .......cut the sides off , then lay them next to each other along the blank axis . I'm not sure how much of the bigger barbs you can get to form to the curvature of the blank , but it's worth a try. I have never tried this , but if I had to try , I would do this on the first shot........then ?
John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.cpe.townisp.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 09:27PM

Sounds good John. I'm going to use just the top inch or two of the feathers, so the shaft shouldn't be as thick as the very bottom of the feather, but that's a good option if it gives me any trouble. I'm a little concerned about it.

CP is how I'm planning on sticking it to the underwraps prior to finishing it. Any tips for applying the first coat of finish to the feather without messing it up too bad? I'm planning to gently brush the finish onto the feather without the rod spinning. Once I get it pretty well covered I'll start the rod spinning and apply the finish to the rest of the area.

Should I put a layer of finish on the under wraps before adding the feathers or can I just put it right on the thread after using CP?

Thanks,
Jackie

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 09:32PM

Jackie,
I did a green pheasant tail buttwrap a while back. I did basically what John said. I permaglossed the feathers, then cut strips about 1/4" wide from them. I laid them down with CP, one at a time, heavily wrapped with mono. Then finished as usual. I enjoy the result, but it was a royal PITA.

Look under my name in the photo pages if you want an idea of what it will come out like.

Posted by: Barry Belknap (---.atlnga1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2004 09:41PM

Jackie:
I have found that the best way to lay a feather on a rod or thread wrap is to coat the surface you are sticking it on and then set the dry feather on. Let it dry before coating with CP (20-30 min). I have found that wetting the feather with CP to lay it on bunches the feather up and gives it an unnatural look. If using more than one layer of feather, coat the first and let it dry before repeating the process. I was very intimidated at first with feather inlays. I took an old broken rod and practiced until I felt more comfortable. The beauty of doing feather inlays is you can take it off and try again if you do not like the look (before you apply finish). I hope this helps.
Barry

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.cpe.townisp.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 10:06PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I have been looking at the feather inlays in the photo gallery and they're all pretty great. I'll take as much advice as you folks can give, and I'll be sure to post a photo of my first feather inlay once it's finished.

~Jackie

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.brns.cox-internet.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 02:56PM

Another way is this. When I use long feathers I tape the tips and butt sections in place, then use diluted CP the secure the section between the tape. After comptely dried, remove the tape and coat those sections. When using tape I use masking tape and stick it too my pants a few times to make it "less" sticky so it doesn't "pluck" the feather when you remove it. I haven't had experience with the thicker stems, and can see where this could be an issue. SO like mentioned above. I would get them in place with CP or whatever. Put a coat of finish on, let dry and then shave the next day. If overlapping feathers, you may have to do this xxx many times for how ever many layers you have.
Hope this made sense.

Date: December 29, 2004 03:51PM

I could use smaller more traditional feathers for this project, but I kind of like the idea of my first inlay on the first rod I've made for myself having some sentimental value. I think with the advice given here I'll definitely be able to put a process together that should work. If I get stuck I'll let you know. I won't be getting to the actual inlay for a few days, so any last minute advice is welcome!

~Jackie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster