I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Personalized decals
Posted by: Colin Hendrickson (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 09:46PM

I am trying to figure out how to make my own personal decals i.e. the purchasers name with built by on it. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personalized decals
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:24PM

The cost to order them may outweigh ther cost to gear up to do it depending on how many you need per year.The turn around from the sponsers on the left that offer them is quite impressive if time is an issue.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2004 10:41PM

Decal Connection and Rod Blanks.com both offer such decals. I'd check into their prices before I began gearing up to do my own. You might have to buy a hundred or more before you would begin to find it cost effective to do your own.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:37PM

I'm assuming that you've never done this before...

I'd suggest looking at a bunch of different fonts for this; many use a different font for the customer's name than their own "Custom built by" or whatever. You can do this on your own computer or go to Decal Connection's website and go through their's; I don't know if Rod Blanks.com or Custom Tackle have this option on their sites, although both make decals.

I'd print these out on your computer in different sized fonts, such as 8, 10, 11, 12 etc and then cut them out and see what fits that rod blank you're working on. From there, email the site you've selected to do the work and order them in the color you would like.

This is all that Decal Connection does; Jimi is wonderful to deal with and would be very hard to go wrong with having him do this for you.

As far as setting up to do it yourself, there's not just the thought about price- it's convenience. I can do a rod and when I get to that point, run in the computer room and print out what I need on my Alps printer, throw them on the rod and I'm done. It's the convenience of not having to worry about planning all of this in advance that got me to fund this set-up. Now if I lived in Florida, it might be different. I use Jimi for all of my decal papers and he is great to deal with.

Putter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2004 12:44AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 11:42PM

Personally, I use Decal Connection unless people specify a handwritten signature.

I'm not a high volume builder, but even if I was, the cost of DC making your decal gets lost in the noise. For the quality they provide, it's just not worth it to me to buy a certain printer to do it myself.

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 27, 2004 12:15AM

I bought an Alps printer so I can use different colors whit ,gold metalic and silver metalic. I have defintely got my moneys worth out of printer.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 27, 2004 12:37AM

I used to do all my labeling by hand until I finally broke down and called Jimi just to see what he could do for me. I had used several lower quality waterslide decals and it was a 50/50 shot wether they laid down clean or not. Since a customer was ordering this rod as an X-mas present and it was already Dec. 20th, I didn't have much time.

I emailed my label info to Jimi and asked for the "new" waterslide decal paper. 2 days later I had it on the rod and it was a million times easier than the old style waterslides. My days of handwritting on blanks are over. Jimi was, as you've already read, a extreme pleasure to work with.

I'd say to give Jimi a shot at a decal or two and then decide wether you want to do it for yourself. For my needs, it's one less hassle to just let D.C. do them for me.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 27, 2004 05:40PM

Call Jimi , you will not be dissapointed by his products , service or prices.....great guy with a great services. John

Got Fish ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster