I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chuckie's Revenge
Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:44AM

I don't know why all the major problems I have are on butt wraps, but here's the issue:

Last night I sat up with a rod that had a fresh coat of finish on the butt wrap (heavy saltwater rod). I watched it for an hour, then went to bed. It was likely only 2 minutes after I went to bed that the chuck on my dryer decided to come apart. I guess the weight of the rod was a little much.

I know that when other people have talked about the same problem, the consensus is to strip and re-do and chalk it up to training. However, I'd like to try the following first.

I intend on using a medium-grit sanding block and hitting all of the high spots (trying to stay out of the thread then (possibly) sanding the rough spots with emory cloth. After that, I'll apply another coat of finish or three to attempt to level what's left. I figure if it still looks bad after a couple more coats I can then strip and start over.

Does that sound like a plan?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chuckie's Revenge
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:51AM

You can't hurt anything by trying to salvage what you have. On occasion, it works.

Just remember that when you sand, you must move through several grades of paper in order to get the scratches out from the first. So unless you are starting with pretty fine grit paper you will have to move through several grades. 150 - 220 - 320 -400 is workable. Do most of the heavy removal with the 150 and then quickly work out heavy scars with each of the other grips. Clean the residue off the surface and then follow with a good Scotchbrite scouring and apply your finish.

By all means work carefully and slowly and check your progress often.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 05:49PM

Chuck, I have a friend that ordered a rod and was in a hurry for it. It was a bass casting rod and he wanted a Fuji handle so it was not much trouble to put the rod together. I glued the handle, made a chevron butt wrap and finished the guides that morning. In the evening I applied the Flex Coat but not having a drying motor at the time I would turn the rod by hand every 15 minutes or so. I fell asleep in the chair and next morning I had these terrible bumps on the rod. I shaved them off and sanded the finish smooth and reapplied the Flex Coat. The next day my friend called and said that he had postponed the trip for a couple of days.

Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 05:37PM

So far, so good. The follow-up coat is drying now. I'll probably have to do a couple more coats, but it looks like the sanding will work fine (in my case).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster