I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Versatile trout rod blank?
Posted by: Hannu Pakarinen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: December 25, 2004 03:58PM

Hey!

I`m going to build a "versatile trout rod".
I am looking for a 9" #5 blank. Any suggestions?
Dan Craft`s Signature IV?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Versatile trout rod blank?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 06:07PM

Not sure what you mean by 'versatile' trout blank.

If you would want a matte finish blank that is light and sensitive with moderate fast action, the St. Croix 3F905 would be an excellent choice to consider, in my opinion.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

info@rodreel.com

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 07:03PM

I like the Dan Craft FT model 9',5# for its versatility. It is now my all around rod.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: scott kinney (---.wvi.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 07:54PM

Depends really on what you consider versatile. I fish two trout rods at the moment, a 8'0" 2/3wt, and a 9' 5wt. They are both Dan Craft rods (III & V).

Both rods can do everything (dries, nymphs, streamers). Of course, the 5 weight is better at #6-10 streamers & nymphs; the 2 weight at #24 dries. But I have confidence that if I only bring one rod to the stream, that I won't have a problem throwing a streamer when I need to with the 2 weight. Both are great rods, but perhaps not 'all around' rods.

A good all-around trout rod would be an 8.5' 4 weight. If you'll be doing more large lake fishing (Eastern Finland), seems like a 9' might be a better idea. Conversely, if you'll be trying some of the smaller Lapland streams, an 8' would be better.

Interestingly enough, I owned a 8.5' 4 weight for a while. I found that I would pick either the little rod or the big rod, depending on the situation; the 4 weight never seemed to leave the closet. Not suggesting that you get two rods, but there's a reason for specialties!

The Dan Craft III, IV, or V would all be great choices. If I had to pick one all-around rod, it'd be the Dan Craft SigV 8'4" 4 weight.

I would avoid the FT series for an all-around rod-- they generate some amazing line speed but aren't what you would call a finesse rod (at least the two I've fished). For weighted streamers & nymphs, you'd want something a little more toward moderate action.

Anyway, good luck selecting a rod!
Hyvaa joulua!

Date: December 25, 2004 08:08PM

To each his own! 90% of the fishing I do with my FT is with beadhead nymphs
and a yarn indicator but the rod also handles a dry fly remarkably well. I do fish large and windy waters most of the time.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 09:05PM

I like the SCIV 5 wt with a 6 wt line If you have room the 9 ft is good. Can handle heaver flys and is good for the wind. Also good for bass. If you want to have more fun with trout go a SCIV 3 - 2 wt Dan's blanks are popular here. Have not used one yet.
Try a search of this board on both blanks

Posted by: Hannu Pakarinen (---.elisa-laajakaista.fi)
Date: December 26, 2004 05:17AM

Versatile: It should handle weighted nymphs, streamers and also large dries. I fish often large waters and rod should have some "power". I already have few #4 rods, don`t need more.
Looking for a #5 blank.

Scott, have you fished in Finland? Maybe you known what i`m trying to say?

Date: December 26, 2004 09:52AM

Hannu

You are describing the exact fishing rod versatility requirements that the Dan Craft FT 5# fills for me. I replaced a G Loomis 5# GLX with it. The GLX met my needs well but at a higher cost with a more fragile rod and with out the custom advantages I used on the FT. I realize that no rod meets the needs of all but I can recommend the FT highly. I have fished the major rivers in SW Montana over the past 60 years and progressed from bamboo to graphite during that time as an indication of my fly fishing experience.

Stan

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 02:31PM

If your looking for an all around 4 wt......Then it might be Dan's 8'4 Sig V. It is an amazing rod...Probably not for the biggest waters...but minus that it hasn't a weakness. Some really love the 8'9 4 wt Sig. V....Which I think is a slightly more powerful stick. Check with Dan.

Keith

Posted by: scott kinney (---.wvi.com)
Date: December 27, 2004 01:19AM

Yes, it sounds like you are fishing more of the large lakes & rivers. There are some amazing flyfishing areas in Finland-- consider yourself a lucky guy! I lived in Turku for a year some time ago, but my best memory was two years ago when I trekked around Kilpisjarvi with a fly rod. Some great water & fish! Later that same trip, I remember catching what I believe MUST be the world record yellow perch from a lake near Inari. Bigger than most pike, I tell ya! Also some great water near Mikkeli, if I remember right. Anyway, about rods...

The 9'0" 5wt FT might not be a bad choice for you if you'll be making a lot of long casts with medium-large flies. I would go with a SA XXD line or another longbelly line to load the rod properly. I feel (and the CCS data shows) that the FT's are drastically underrated, very fast action rods. If the majority of your casts will be 50'+, then by all means, consider a FT.

My 6wt FT needs about 50' of the XXD to load 'right'. I can make 20-30' casts, but it seems like waving a broomstick with spiderweb on the end at that distance. It's a great distance rod, and not that bad close in when loaded with an 8 weight line, but it is NOT an all-around 6wt rod.

On the other hand, my 9' 5wt SigV loads at 25-30' with a normal WF5, and can shoot out the entire 105' when it needs to. I feel that it is a much more 'all-around' rod than the FT. I feel comfortable with #16 to #1/0 flies.

Also important to some people are rod weights. Of course, a lot of this is component selection, but the two rods are similar:

9' 5wt SigV: 2.81oz-- yes, 2.81 oz!
Woven graphite reelseat, Western grip, #12, #10, #8 single foot SIC; #6 alconites as running guides, #6 SIC tip.

9' 6wt FT: 3.44oz
Birdseye maple reelseat, 1.5" butt, Full wells grip, #12, #10 double foot alconite strippers; #8 alconite, #7 alconites, #7 SIC tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster