I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

If you were buying a new Renzetti..........
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 05:20PM

What extras would you get along with it? I'm thinking get the complete rod lathe package, an extra 3 ft bed extension, an extra rod support, the laser level, live tail stock, tail stock with chuck, & tool rest. anything else?

Santa is coming to town! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you were buying a new Renzetti..........
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 24, 2004 05:27PM

You can't have too many rod supports. 4 would be the minimum that I would consider. 5 is even better.

The laser guide alignment tool works just as advertised, but I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have an extra rod support in place of it. If I had to choose, that is.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ij.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 05:47PM

Definately the extra rod support. I have 3 and I will be buying another after the holidays.

Tom

Date: December 24, 2004 07:06PM

OK, so two extra rod supports minimum.

Also, what's the difference between the Renzetti & the Clemens?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2004 08:43PM by Clyde Roberts.

Date: December 24, 2004 07:13PM

The original Clemens lathe was built by Andy Renzetti. The Renzetti Master Rod Lathe is the original. When buying tools, I always consider how long a company has been around, how long they're likely to be around, continuity, availability of parts, etc. With that in mind, the Renzetti lathe just makes good sense.

I'm sure you're aware of the Renzetti line of fly tying vises. Their quality is well known and respected throughout the industry. The rod lathe is no less.

Date: December 24, 2004 08:45PM

" The original Clemens lathe was built by Andy Renzetti. The Renzetti Master Rod Lathe is the original. "

So are they the same? Is the Clemens not built by Renzeti now? Just curious is all.

Date: December 24, 2004 08:53PM

No, it has not been built by Renzetti in something like 15 years now. At least two other people/companies have built the Clemens Lathe since Renzetti was making them.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.prxy.klmz.mi.core.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 09:51PM

i bought the package 1/10 motor solid state foot control. i believe that is standard now. i bought 1 extra rod support, not enough, i will buy one more in charlotte if available.those other acc. are ok if you want to do all those operations on your lathe.i bought a separate small lathe to do all the turning and sanding and so forth.pen type lathe. lot of info on small lathes in the search function.This keeps your wrapping area much cleaner, all the dust and dirt are on your small lathe.from checking on prices i think we are talking the same money give or take a few bucks. i think less. IMHO John

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 12:48AM

I bought several extra supports and some extra bed length so I could build any length rod I felt the need to. I have the other tools save for the Renzetti lazer( I use the one from my toolbox). They can come in handy. Go for bed lenght and supports first!
Ray

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 11:48AM

I purchased everything including the "Wonder Weaver." If you weave that is a great tool. I even purchased two head stocks and two motors (I had to reverse the wiring on one motor used to the right so it turned the right way) and 12 feet of bed. I have a head stock on each end so I can wrap under wraps to the left and guide wraps to the right.

If I had to do it over, I would not buy the tail stock and tool rest. A small cheap lathe (Jet or small Grizzly) is much better to turn cork grips. The motors are not strong enough IMO with the Renzetti to turn cork or wood. I tried buying stronger motors and had to buy more pulleys, etc. and ended up spending as much as I would have buying a small wood lathe. Don't get me wrong the Renzetti is a superb rod lathe and if some one stole mime today, I'd order another one tomorrow.

Larry Tysinger

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.228.108.32.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 05:51PM

I have one of the old Clemens lathes and the original 1/15 hp motor.I have turned alot of cork,EVA,and hypalon with it.When turning blocks of EVA,I knock off the 90 degree edges to "round it up" a bit first. I haven't tried to use it for wood though. I am not so sure I couldn't use it for that. Someday,I may even upgrade to the 1/10 hp motor. JMHO
Merry Christmas to all,
Chuck

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2004 07:38PM

The 1/10hp motor has a ton more torque than the old 1/15. The difference in power is incredible. I've turned plenty of cork and eva with my Renzetti and 1/10 motor. It's a gutsy unit. I would agree that if you plan to turn reel seat inserts that you need to look at a grizzly, jet or delta though.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2004 05:41AM

Agree with all on the extra rod supports. If you do a lot of large diameter rods, the saltwater wheels are good to go.

Also, the 1/10 is a hoss and you would have to sit on it to bog it down turning EVA. I have two 12' setups; one with a 1/15 for wrapping and one with 1/10 for turning grips, etc.

IMHO, have at least 12' of track.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.244.180.174.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 26, 2004 04:09PM

One thing to consider is do you want to be doing cork/lathe work in the same place as you are wrapping. I have the Clemens lathe and starting using for cork and such, but the cleanup is horrible before wrapping. Cork dust is the worst.
So I do all lathe work in a seperate area. Just built a homemade one out of a sewing machine motor.
Just consider that before purchasing all the attachments. After a few more rods, may buy a short Renzetti just for the lathe work.

Date: December 26, 2004 05:19PM

For those who can't afford two lathes, you can turn and shape cork on the same lathe you wrap with. I did this for many years and never had the sort of dust and debris problems that others speak of. Of course, I also made myself a dust collection attachment so nearly all the cork dust was captured right at the source while I was shaping.

RodMaker has done at least two articles on dust collection and I think one or two of the photos I have on the photo page show my shop vac dust collection attachment on an older rod lathe bench, for use with the Renzetti lathe. You can also fit a cheap box fan with a better quality furnace filter and get the really fine dust, if you want.

And remember, dust itself is not a problem with wrapping and finishing. Only that which is airborne is going to cause problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster