I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod guide spacing
Posted by: Tim Bloomfield (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:35PM

I have a St. Croix ice rod kit. (the 28" ultralight). There are 6 guides in the kit (inculding the tip top). This seems like a lot.

Couldn't find a guide spacing chart on their web site, do you guys have one?

Should I not use all six guides that came with the kit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod guide spacing
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:51PM

6 guides??? On an ice rod?

I only ice fished it northern MN where I grew up. Up there, it's grab the line hand over hand. Rod action plays no part in the game. When wearing heavily reinfornced leather choppers (Randy migh know what a northern chopper is) rod action isn't a priority. The only purpose of the rod is to hold the line holding equipment!

I've built summer walleye rods with 6 guides. I dunno where you would put 6 guides on a 2 foot rod.

Posted by: Rick keith (---.227.230.178.col.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 10:01PM

Ive built 43 of theys rods ,there is only 4 guides including the tip on the 28 inch rod,still have 13 to go,hope this helps or email me i will give you the spacing,merry xmas

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 10:16PM

Depending on the reel to be used and the weight line, I have them run with 3 or 4 guides, max!! Many times it will work out with 2 and a tip top. Remember, it's not being cast, so you don't have those related concerns. As few as possible is the way I build my ice rods. I have had many rod come in to have guides removed and changed, low and behold, the action of the rod is totally different! One thing I see many ice rod builders ignoring, proper guide foot preperation. These rods are flexed a great deal at times. I took of a set of guides yesterday that you could cut you hands on. Burrs, sharp edges, etc. In time that thread will weaken or cut. Maybe they are hoping for repair work or new sales. Take the extra time, and build a quality product regardless of the end user. Just my 2 cents worth. Merry Christmas to all.
Ray

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:00PM

Hi Tim,

Ditto what Ray said... file those feet! Not only will they wear the thread, but more importantly, burrs on the bottom will file away at the blank and eventually cause a break. Guide size, spacing on the ST Croix Premier, ML 28" is 20, 12, 10, at 3", 6 3/4", 12 7/8", measured from the tip without the tip top on the blank. I'm guessing the UL will be the same, but you may wish to downsize the guides one- ie 16, 10, 8. Sorry I don't have the UL handy to tell if it is the same. Good luck with your wraps!

STeve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster