I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

envior-tex epoxy
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 06:33PM

while going thru a box of odds & ends that I have I ran across a kit from "envior-tex" epoxy.I have never heard of it being mentioned on this ng before.Anyone have any info on it before I try it ???
thanks alot
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: envior-tex epoxy
Posted by: George Mason (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 07:43PM

I have some laying around also. I did a search here with the same question about the stuff and the general consensus was that it is not for fishing rods. (hijack on) - I just finished a rod for my wife with LS supreme and now need more - was wondering whether to get more Flex coat high build or the new LS high build; guess I'll be safe and buy both (hijack off)

ghmason
--------------------
Life's a beach, then you go fishin'

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 07:43PM

It's a craft epoxy and not meant for exterior use. I have used it way back when I was just starting out. It works okay on guide wraps but turns very brown and cracks easily. I'd stick with one of the guide wrap epoxies if it was me.

Posted by: Peter Houston (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:55PM

Hi guys,

I build for a manufacturer here in Australia, as well as for myself and envirotex is what Strudwick and myself are using, although i do use LS Supreme sometimes (my favourite).
Strudwick have been using it on all their range of rods from fly to spin/baitcaster for the last 3 years with no adverse problems being reported.
I have been using envirotex for everything from 1-3kg spin to 15kg game, and after christmas, plan to build a 24kg game rod with it and have not seen one problem. Its very easy to use, flows well, has reasonable bubble dispersion properties and will take heat.

I have inspected a few broken rods that returned to Strudwick that were earlier models, at least 2 years old, and the envirotex was still in very good shape. No sign of cracking or browning.

So, for me at least, i have no hesitation in recommending it.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:24PM

Pete, thought you would jump in on this one.

Myles

Posted by: David Boyle (---.mas.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 24, 2004 12:33AM

The best results I have had have been with Envirotex.

Wondering about its UV resistance properties, we made up some test sticks at a Sydney Rod Builders Club meeting. Underwraps were done then coated with one of three epoxies: Envirotex, Jack Erskines and LS Supreme. The test sticks have been sitting outside for the past four months or so.

I live in a remote outback location where the temperature often hits 40 C (100 F) and we get day after day of intense sunshine.

Inspection of the test sticks reveal that each of the epoxies has yellowed marginally. Envirotex looked the best of the three when it was first applied, and still looks best today. Erskines looked worst at first and still does.

The sticks will stay outside on my awning to see how they hold up in 2005.

Regards
Dave Boyle

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 24, 2004 02:27AM

Hey Dave you glowing yet,
Merry Xmas, you have room in your suit case when you go to Charlotte, I'm sure Peter and I won't take up much room.

Myles
Brisbane

Re: enviro-tex epoxy
Posted by: R. Patrick Vernacchio (---.olive.dsl.arctic.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 03:12AM

I used Enviro-Tex on a number of rods over the years and have experienced no adverse affects as a result. It worked as well as Flex-Coat High Build. I've got a large kit of Enviro-Tex Lite, along with Chrystal Sheen that I am looking forward to using when my 3oz Flex-Coat HB kit runs out. I'm still using Flex-Coat, I just like to try different things. Ingredient's-wise, I think Flex-coat and Enviro-Tex are the same. I'm glad to here others are using it.

Merry Christmas
Patrick Vernacchio

Re: enviro-tex epoxy
Posted by: Peter Houston (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:17AM

Hi Patrick,

Glad to see others are using it as well. I have also used the envirotex-Lite in the past for fly rods, with the thinner coats over the wraps, the Lite suits it well, as does LS Supreme, but, i did have questions at first with it as over a 6 month period, i did experience some discolouration, so i stopped using it.

But, i do like the envirotex and as its a lot cheaper (here in Australia at least) than LS Supreme, i will continue to use it.

Best regards,

Peter Houston.
Rods On The Fly,.

Merry Christmas..........

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Posted by: Dave Boyle (---.mas.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 25, 2004 12:44AM

Myles,

I need all the spare suitcase space I can get in order to bring back the goodies on my list... :0) Ten again, I might need some help carrying the bags back to the plane.. :-D

Have a great Christmas.

DB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster