I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

computerdecal/ken pres DVD
Posted by: Stan Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 04:17PM

I have kens DVD and it was very good, but my problem is that when
sticking the 8660 clear label on over epoxy finish. Ken says to use a
Dull coat laquer spray, Is this the finish, or do you put another epoxy finish over the laquer. I use Flex coat H/B
Any advise would be appreciated at this time
Thanks Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: computerdecal/ken pres DVD
Posted by: Doug Cox (---.neonova.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 04:52PM

Put on another coat or two of your Flex Coat...just be sure that the lacquer is completely dry.

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.138.16.---)
Date: December 23, 2004 05:36PM

No, well I don't think so, havn't seen his first DVD (but a little birdy told me his second one is also great) , but the laquer spray protects the ink running on the label and low sheen (dull)laquer would be to blend the two surfaces then once dry coat with you normal expoxy. KEN CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Regards
Myles

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 08:37PM

Avery "clear" labels have a frosty coating on them (like "transparent" scotch tape). Overspraying with a clear finish (testor's dull coat) or lacquer will cut the frosty coating. You can also do this with CP - but it's very likely that the lettering will run. Yes - you do have to apply an overcoat of epoxy afterwards to completely encase the label.
As a side note and because you simply can't do EVERYTHING you want on any medium and because everyone continues to learn "new tricks". The hazy or frosty finish on the labels is really only apparent on metallic underwraps. If you are using NCP white as an underwrap you can apply the label - wait for the ink to really dry (between 15 and 20 minutes and proceed directly with the finish coat of epoxy.

Posted by: StanHansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 08:50PM

Thanks a whole lot fellas and hope everyone has a nice Holiday.
Again .org comes to the rescue.
Stan

Date: December 23, 2004 09:16PM

Oh - - and Myles... You win! I'm going to try an "experiment". Based on your extensive testing I'm going to send you one of the original DVDs in original format to see if relaxation of "zoning" on DVD formats will let you play this one without modification. I found your insight on the newer DVD players excellent and encouraging. Thanks for your help mate

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:39PM

Bearclaw-What kind of birds do you talk to in the penal colony? Maybe jailbirds???

Ken-He is kinda special, ain't he??

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:41PM

Ken, forgive me for my ignorance, but what is your DVD on and what does it cover?

I might need this!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:16PM

Putter spotted drongo jail bird.
I'm enjoying this cold cold beer.

myles

Date: December 24, 2004 09:48AM

Mike,
The first DVD covers the basics of rod building plus a couple of extra "tricks" about labels (not as good as you can get from Decal Connection - but 85% and you can do them at home); a short segment on changing the blank color and a few other "extras". Let me be the first to admit openly that doing the first DVD was a foray into a new medium (new imaging and some pretty rough narration). I'm about ready to let the second one out the door. It's much more "focused" and deals with building a saltwater fly rod. Based on feedback from the first one - new camera, new camera angle (looking down as you would see the work), crisper imaging (again the new camera) - very tight closeups. Also the second one is "cradle to grave" a total start to finish with a complete parts list, spacings for the guides,finding the spine, static guide placement (and a segment on nodal or sine wave placement - properly classifying it as a secondary method) wrapping guides and trim bands. It also has subtitles. Lots of this was added based on comments received. As Mike (webman/videographer) and I get better at lighting, narrating, and overall "balance" and the comments the DVD got better. This one is going to run about 80 minutes.

Putter - Yes, Myles is "bonza" an a good mate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster