I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept Guide System Questions
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: December 23, 2004 03:17PM

I would like some suggestions, please (I apologize for the many posts with questions, I like to be thorough):

Summer Float Rod

RainShadow Grey Blank
Ti Large HookKeeper
Ti Winding Check
Fullwells Front Cork Grip
Silver/Ti Anodized Aluminum Uplocking Reel Seat
7.5 – 9” Cork Butt Grip
Anodized Aluminum Fighting Butt w/Rubber End
Ti Titan Guides with Nanolite Inserts 25, 20, 16, 10, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6
SS #6 Tip Top
Guidewrap colors: Black main, band or two of Purple, Metallic-Silver trim band

I am working on a summer float rod for use with smallies (no bigger than 14”) and catfish, and in early fall and late spring steelhead. I have purchase a RainShadow 11’6” light action, extremely slow, wetter than wet noodle rodblank.

The reel that will be used will either be a 5” Adcock Stanton or a 4.5” Okuma Sheffield Center Pin.

Because of the overall size of the reel(s) and the angle at which the line comes off the spool, I have my mind made up (unless someone can convince me otherwise) that the first guide will be highframe size 25 guide. Then to a 20, then 16, but from there I am need of assistance. I have a 13’6” Raven 3PC and the first guide is a 20 which causes a pretty decent angle for the line to travel through the stripping guide and the associated friction. I don’t believe that I need high frame guides for the entire rod length if I choose to utilize the Concept system for guide size and placement.

If the knowledgeable guys on the board could tell me what guides I should purchase I would appreciate it.

I was thinking, because this rod is for me, I am going to go high end with the components and purchase the Titan solid titanium frame guides with the nanolite insert ring. I figured the “A” frame guides for the stripper, the 20, and the 16, but how far do I go until I switch to the standard height all purpose guides for the rest of the rod???

Thanks ahead of time,
Domenic Federico

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept Guide System Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2004 03:50PM

Which guides you need for the concept system can only be determined by the line path. Check the online library article on the New Guide Concept System Primer for the info.

Your line needs to follow a straight path and this is why must plot the line path, and then select the guides that will conform to that path. Doing it the other way around - selecting guides and then having the line path conform to them, is not going to provide you with the optimum performance. It'll still work, of course, but not nearly as well.

I would buy a whole set and then use the ones that are needed, keeping the rest for a later rod. Most likely, all your running guides will be either #6 or #7 low frame, single footed fly type ceramic guides.

Date: December 23, 2004 04:09PM

Tom-

I understand the layout, but how does it apply to a centerpin reel? How do I determine the axis to follow? The spool is flipped on end!

Thanks,
Domenic

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2004 05:44PM

Unless you're dealing with a reel that acts and operates as a spinning reel, then you'll have to adjust your system.

You're on the right track - take the line down as quickly as you can and then use smaller, lower frame guides on the upper mid and tip areas. Once the line enters the butt guide, however, you want a straight path to the smallest running guide and then a straight line from there through the rest of the running guides and on to the tip.

The friction is not as great as you imagine, but you don't want the line having to follow a roller coaster course on its way to the tip top.

Got it!
Date: December 24, 2004 10:10AM

Thank you sir! (Again!)

DFF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster