I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

urothane as color preserver
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-59-60rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 12:26PM

on an other board i have seen some reference to the use of water based
urothane as a color preserver. i also saw reference to the use of elmers glue 50/50 with water. any of you had any experience with these
methods of color preservation on your thread wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: urothane as color preserver
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2004 01:50PM

Elmer's Glue leaves a lot to be desired as a color preserver. Contrary to popular belief, the white acrylic CP's are not thinned Elmers.

Gudebrod 811 and Glass Coat Professional Color Sealant are both acrylic/urethane color preservers. They are somewhat clear in the bottle, can be thinned (only if necessary with alcohol) and if you're quick, can be cleaned up with water.

Posted by: Peter Houston (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 23, 2004 04:39PM

Hi Larry,

I make my own colour preserver by using a clear laqueur, thinned with 25% laqueur thinners. It has very good UV qualities.
I apply three coats minimum, working it into the threads thoroughly and allowing to dry for 24 hours before epoxying.
Never had a problem with it and i think its as good as the acrylics and Gudebrod 811. When i run out, simply make up some more.
Be careful mixing though, as the fumes are very strong, mix in a well ventilated area and do not use plastics to mix with. I use a glass graduated mixing jug.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 24, 2004 12:54AM

this evening i picked up a can of olympic water based polyurethane interior gloss. did some wraps on the butt of the blank. one coat and let it dry couple of hours. i followed up with a coat of marine spar.
the threads were sealed perfectly and it is bright and looks like right off the spool.perfectly even with no streaks. it is a honey colored blank. at least for this combination it is awsome. in the can the stuff looks like non fat milk but it dries clear. the real test will be on dark blank. i will give it a try. the thread was gudebrod gold 340. i also tried a light gold piersols silk on the same color blank. one coat sealed the thread and it looks great with spar varnish. don't know if it would pass a dip tube test. on my actual wraps i will use three thin coats of the water based polyurethane and a couple of coats of spar after drying for 48 hours. will let you know how it works. am not using epoxy on this particular rod but i will test that as well.

Posted by: Peter Houston (---.dialup.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 24, 2004 06:27AM

Hi Larry,

Thanks mate, could you keep me informed of how you go with this and how your epoxy turns out when you give that a go.

Regards,

Peter Houston.

Regards,

Peter.
Rods On The Fly,
Newcastle, Australia.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 11:39PM

Water base urethane will work fine under epoxy, have used it many times. Have used some I picked up in a small bottle at a craft store and some Dan Craft sent me with a rod blank, both worked perfectly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster