I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My first time with Permagloss
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 02:25PM

Alright I thought I'd give Permagloss a try for my thread finish on a small spinning rod. Application couldn't be easier, but after a couple of coats it wanted to build up along the edges of the thread leaving a long valley in between. After my fourth coat I thought maybe I had built the valley up semi-level with the edges and left it over night. I woke up this morning and the wraps looked like they had chicken pox! Small bubbles everywhere. I had not noticed this during or between any of the four coats I had applied. To make matters worse this rod is/was to be a Christmas present for my dad. I did what I could with a razor & sandpaper then applied a coat of epoxy. It doesn't look worth a darn. I am considering stripping the guides this afternoon even though I HAVE to leave town by Friday morning.

Lesson Learned: Don't experiment with a late running Christmas present.

Jay

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My first time with Permagloss
Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 04:34PM

Good luck, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

If it will ease the pain at all I made a mistake on the X-mas present rod I am making too. I have always used darker or metallic threads so I have never used CP. I actually liked how it made some of them darker without it. Well, since I wasn't thinking and all, I made my underwraps on this rod with a nice bright yellow and then used a dark brown on my guide wraps. It didn't take but 3 seconds for me to start cursing myself when I touched the yellow with my epoxy. So, instead of a bright yellow I ended up with a translucent golden color. Now that it's pretty much done (one coat left to do over my decal) I actually like the way it turned out. It is for a young kid, in his school colors (brown/gold), so at first I thought I wanted it to be bright and vibrant. Now, in hindsight, it looks pretty classy.

Pretty much lucked out but I'm still recovering from my heart jumping up in my throat!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 06:31PM

Hi Jay when I put on any finish I use a spatula with a little pressure. I also pay attention to the bottom of the wrap for excess globs. I then remove those by moving mt spatula in a horizontal direction (one way) starting at the tip foot and moving towards the ring. As for air bubbles after I have mixed the finish I pour it on a flat peace of foil, let set for a few minutes and exhale on any bubbles. If I am not mistaken PERMAGLOSS is made for rod finish and was not intended for a thread finish. HAPPY HOLIDAYS. I was going to send you a email, but it says you have a hidden email address.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 06:46PM

I use a lot of permagloss as thread finish. If you recoat to soon after the previous coat the solvent forms bubbles in the finish. I always wait a full 24 hour between coats. The first coat is a heavey flood coat and subsiquent coats are much lighter.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 07:41PM

The only time I've had problems with PG was applieing too much , and not letting it dry completly . I use light coats , 1 an hour in a warm room . If you use light coats an hour is plenty of time in between coats , the thicker the more problems you will have . That is my expierence with it , and I love the stuff. JD

Posted by: Charles Tatton (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 08:23PM

I've only used Permagloss once and I was impressed. I waited 1 hour between thin coats and didn't have any problems with bubbles or bumps, although as I look at the rod now I do see a very slight build-up on the edges of the wraps. I will deffinately use it again on my light fly rods. It's very easy to work with, but the fumes are a bit unpleasant and probably not very healthy.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:29PM

That is the only bad thing , the fumes . I have used PG as a first coat on all of the fly rods I build now . I find that it is very easy to get the strait edge on the thread ends with a fine brush , and it fills the tunnel well and neatly .A coat of LS after an hour, and your done . Nice low build and cristal clear finish .....classy. JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:51PM

I pretty much only use PG on underwraps or as a top coat on my Flex Coat. I've used it all on its own on a lot of experiments and haven't had this problem, but I've always waited at least one hour between coats.

If you've already used 3 coats, I have a suspicion that the faults were already there and you just didn't notice them, or something changed on this particular coat. Were you handling the wraps a lot before this coat, contaminating them with oil, or change brushes/thickness of finish/pressure on the brush, etc??

The stuff is pretty easy to work with, if you have the time. I have no sense of smell (literally) so while it doesn't smell bad to me the fumes will still get to you. I kinda think I like it actually. Course, maybe that's cuz I like to hear the wife complain about the stink that I can't smell. :)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:17PM

Nope no handling between coats. The rod stayed in the dryer the whole time. I did enjoy using it though. Extremely easy to apply although this may be one of my downfalls with it. I seemed to want to put on too much (I'm used to epoxy). I did catch a few drips in the process. Thin coats seem to be the key...just enough to wet the wrap? I also waited an hour or two between the coats. The puzzling part to me is why the bubble appeared overnight and not during the 5-6 hour period it took me to get the 4 coats on? Oh well live & learn. I'll use it again I'm sure...but not before lots of experimentation on a scrap blank! Thanks for the help. Jay

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:23PM

Hello Jay
Sorry to your having a difficult first time with Pema-Gloss.
What happened is that your application was to thick (heavy) with inadequate cure time before the next coat. The surface of the Perma-Gloss coating hardened before the solvents dissipated.
I know this does not make it any better for this application but hopefully it will help in the future.
Apply the first coat thinnly and use just enough to saturate the threads and let it cure for 12 to 24 hours. After the first coat has cured adequately you can apply additional thin coats allowing each one to cure 6 to 12 hours. The best results are obtained using thin coats.
On most rods it is necessary to apply 6 to 7 coats to threads to get a smooth finish ie, not feel the threads and have the depth look finish.
Perma-Gloss is a very tough finish and will last a good long time. It is much tougher than epoxy. If you want the threads color to come through always use color lockfirst. Allow a day for the color lock to cure before applying Perma-Gloss to be sure and have a crystal clear finish.
If I or Ralph can be of any help please contact me at the above email or write directly to Trondak using the email found on the sponsors listing.
Merry Christmas and hopefully we will meet in Charlotte.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:44PM

Thank you Joe. Your information will go with me and be used in the future. After smoothing what I could and applying a coat of LS this morning I have decided to keep the rod as it is. It isn't a complete disaster, but certainly not work I'm looking forward to putting my name on. The wraps are nice looking though (well if you look past my botched finish). I wrapped SiC guides on a GUSA blank with Teal nylon & no CP. I inlayed three single threads of Teal metallic (Sulky) separated by single strands of the nylon about 12 threads into the wrap. After the nylon turned translucent the metallic stands out with just enough shimmer to be noticed. I really can't wait to use the Permagloss again after further experimentation. Again, thank you so much for your guidance. Happy Hollidays. Jay

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 01:41AM

I stand corrected when I said Permagloss was just for rods. Follow Joes instructions and you can't go wrong. I meet Joe last spring and his knowledge on the Trondak U-40 products is super
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 23, 2004 06:20AM

I agree with Joe the only thing I do different is to apply a very heavy first coat. I put it on so that it almost drips off and the rotate the rod for about five minutes. The stuff wants to build up at the edge of the wraps and the heavy first coat help combat this problem. I got this technigue from Ralph O'Quinn. The first coat has to cure for at least 24 hours.

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: December 23, 2004 09:28AM

Couple tricks I learned:

1. Wear a respirator while applying (Home depot sells them for around $30 w/ replaceable filters).

2. Many thin coats. Like any other varnish, at temps over 70dF, it dries quickly. I usually wait 6-24 hours, but I have all the time in the world.

3. Don't use CP, but understand that it doesn't really matter. Not sure about this statement since I've never experianced it.

Posted by: Charles Tatton (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:50AM

Joe, I noticed in your above post you recommended waiting 12 - 24 hours after the first coat, and 6 - 12 hours between subsequent coats, but the instruction on the bottle say to "air dry one hour between coats", which is what I have done in the past. Which is best? Thanks.

Posted by: John Carlton (---.bc.dl.cox.net)
Date: December 23, 2004 11:01PM

I use it from time to time i love it.Just go slow with lite coats and wait a hour our so between coats amd it will be the cats meow.

PS:Good Things Come To those who wait

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster