I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dyeing cork rings
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:12AM

I did a search first but came up "aces and spaces". Does anyone get good results dyeing cork rings? What's the trick? I tried this ONE TIME and had miserable results. I used what I was "sure" would work - analine dye and the best I got was about 1/16" penetration of the cork -- and some really funky blue stains in the laundry tub that are permanent. When I shaped the glued up cork rings and turned them down to shape -- natural cork with blotches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dyeing cork rings
Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:23AM

From what I have read both here and elsewhere, tradtional dyes do not seem to work with cork. I have read of a few ideas that "seem" to add some color but nothing that will put colors in the cork the way I believe you are looking to. If you are not talking about colors such as blue, green, red and such, then stains, and tea treatments do seem to add good color. I have wondered if the process used in tanning leather would work for cork, but have never researched it. Other than that, I have no idea of what else to even try that someone hasn't already.
Ray

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:36AM

Take your clear. Mix in a old rod bond large container. Thin. Add tint - any color from Tap Plastics - mix well. Add cork dust, make it to a thin syrup. I poor into a mold to the size I need. Or even mix in your mold. Let dry. Drill hole in it put it on the lath shape cut glue onto handle. Shape Wha-la Colored cork rings

Date: December 22, 2004 09:37AM

Check out willierods on the photo page for pics

Date: December 22, 2004 09:47AM

Aha! Gotcha similar to "chopped" or "burl" commercial rings. Thanks, Bill.

Date: December 22, 2004 10:28AM

Been thinking about this --- while playing with marbelizing a rod blank... if you were to use high build finish you should also be able to marbelize the cork... you'd be left with a polishing job afterward (likely red jeweler's rouge) but it could be an interesting look. More experiments! Good thing I'm off work until January.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:38AM

Great Idea, Ken! Be sure to let us know and post pix!!

Posted by: eric spicher (---.dialupat.pennswoods.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:46AM

just curious what type of dye's you tried ken?

Date: December 22, 2004 11:18AM

The only dye I tried on my FAILED attempt to dye solid cork rings was RIT. I even tried heating the mixture --- which resulted in tossing out the pan --- read very unhappy result.

Posted by: Mike Malone (---.chyn.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 12:11PM

Ken:I was going to try the same thing with some cork rings, use hot RIT dye. I was going to put the cork in a quart mason jar, pour in the hot dye mixture and vacume seal the jar and let it set for a couple of days. My thinking that the vacume would let the dye penetrate the pores of the cork? Just a thought.
Mike

Posted by: eric spicher (---.dialupat.pennswoods.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 12:15PM

Ken,
If you can get your hands on some "Veniard" dye it may work. These are very high concentrated powder dyes used by alot of fly tying material companies. As far as I know there are a couple distibutors in the US, but most are from Canada. If you do try find some and try it be very careful, because it does not come out. Here is 1 US sight that stocks it, [www.huntersangling.com]

Date: December 22, 2004 12:36PM

Shape the cork first, then dye and maybe seal it to keep the color from coming of

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: December 22, 2004 02:33PM

Turn first, sand smooth, then use permanent markers!!!! After this is dry, give it a good wipe with a clean rag wetted with alcohol to spread the colour somewhat "uniformly". Finish with whatever you please after that once dry.

I did that with the 3 pce's wood split grips, and it looks cool. Used a couple of light coats of CA, then a coat of outdoor polyurethane.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 22, 2004 06:34PM

Ken, I have to go with Bill, shape and ream to increase surface area first. I have been wanting to try building a miniture presure vat, so as to force the dye into the cork. silimar to the way they treat Copper,Chrome and Arsenic treated timber using a steel pipe, some screw on ends and a tyre valve welded into the end of the one cape, you would have to use a solvent free dye as you wouldn't want to any solvent under presure without the right equipment. Treating like this longer you leave it better the results as with CCA treated timber.

Myles

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 06:58PM

Cork is a vary dense material and dose not except dyes readily. I have used hot Rite dye and let my rings set in the solution for about a 1/2 hour and buff them to a high petnia. They looked great, but all you get is a surface coating. So what ever color you achieve must be clear coated with some thing or your finish well ware off. You understand I am talking general dyeing and not using a commercial application. In wood working there is a process called fuming. This process can color wood any color you want. It is not like a stain or paint. The stuff is vary caustic and hazardous to work with.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster