I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A question on marbelizing
Posted by: Frank Persico (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 07:42AM

When you apply the base coat to the blank, is this a clear coat or does it have a base color and then you follow with your other colors or do you start with a clear base coat and add colors, or doesn't it matter which way you go...thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A question on marbelizing
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 07:49AM

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 09:54AM

I think that most use a colored base coat (I do), if you don't, the base would be the color of the blank. I think that most use a clear base coat fo flames and pull the bands of color through it for the flames. There is an article in the library above.

Play with it on scrap and experiment

Mike

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:20AM

I have done it both ways, but I like the results obtained when I put a clear base coat first. I used Flexcoat HB and let it stand ~5 min. before I started adding the colors. I got better relults using the TAP pigments. When I used the Testor paint the rate of migration was not uniform. I have made a total of five rods-3 with clear and 2 colored. Too bad I did not take pictures. (Gave them all away for Christmas.) My question is: what is the best speed for the drying motor for this operations? I have used a 4 rpm motor but can go higher. I started doing this after reading the article by Mike Barkley in Issue 5 of Rodmaker. I am new to rodbuilding but results seem to improve with each rod.

Ed

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 10:21AM

Frank,

I've done it a number of ways. Another is to use a thread color, such as on a guide wrap as your base color and apply a clear base coat.

As Mike has suggested, experment on scrap until you get the look you want.

Regards

Date: December 22, 2004 10:42AM

Ed,

When you use Testor's (or any other model paints), you want to let the pigment settle to the bottom and pour off the solvents. On some of them I found that If I just left them open for a day or so the solvents would evaporate. The Testor's metallics are awesome!! On those, just pour the solvent off and you have a thick metallic pigment left

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 22, 2004 10:49AM

As per what Mike said-I was able to completely color the rod such that the rod color did not show. I had to add small "daps" to holes which showed rod color during the first 15 min. Also I found that using a hair dryer helped the migration of the late additional "daps". I think this is what Mike refered to by "Flaming". I liked the effect that the colors seemed more "layered", one on top of the other and in some cases the color was suspended in a clear layer with varying intensity. I guess it is one's visual perspective as to what they like best.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 22, 2004 11:26AM

"Flames" are when you put a clear base coat, then 'bands' of colors around the rod (or an ink pen in JR's case). You then draw the bands of clear through each other out and into the clear finish, making the flame appearance.

Putter

Date: December 22, 2004 05:03PM

OOPS :( Should have read ...draw the bands of "COLOR" through each other...

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 22, 2004 06:16PM

Putter, Mike you guys should get someone to video your marblizing demo at Charlotte, so if anyone want to see a visual demo they could send you a few bucks for cd with a vcd on it. I don't mean a professially produced one, just so people get the idea of drags,drops etc. Yep Mike still 83F just wait till noon so I can have a lunch time beer after I moved somemore rocks.

Myles

Date: December 22, 2004 07:30PM

Myles,

If I had a last nerve, you'd be getting on it!! :) That sounds like a good idea on the video. If anyone wanted to tape it and give me the tape, I would see that anyone that wanted a copy got one for the cost of the tape and shipping only

Date: December 23, 2004 12:26AM

Myles = Rotten!! It's supposed to get down to -20 F tonight, here in the TRUE frozen tundra. Does weed out the weak ones, though...

And beer still tastes good, even at those temps...

I'll be nervous enough in front of people; camera would probably make it that much worse-just an old country boy ya know.

Putter

Date: December 23, 2004 09:20PM

Hey, Putter, you and Mike better not say one more word about negative temperatures or white stuff. If you do Putter, won't have to worry about stage fright or a crowd of people at Charlotte. If that stuff is contagious and you bring it to Charlotte there won't be any show or beer either. Once temperatures become negative and/or 3 people see 3 snow flakes all havoc breaks out. In North Carolinia, everyone flys to the store to get bread, eggs, milk, and beer and all businesses close. The shelves get emptied and the stores close. You are lucky if you can find a bartender. Charlotte might have three trucks with blades and they only work the interstates and roads to hospitals. Gov. Easley will declare a state of disaster and no one is allowed on the roads. Thus if you guys bring that stuff, you better BYOB. At least you can leave you augers at home and still go fishing. I have used my boat only one time as an Ice breaker and it worked just fine. The trout streams don't freeze over either. You just need thick waders or a wet suit. (My son really did use his wet suit last Feb.) We did get rain last night. I was very comfortable this morning without a jacket. You guys just talked so much that it is cold now. Maybe Santa Claus needed it to be cold too. Looking forward to Charlotte and meeting you guys.

Ed

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 24, 2004 12:32AM

I lied anyhow, Ed. It got down to -26 degrees. Had about a 15 MPH wind with it- short sleeve weather, it was. Wait til it hits 45, 50 below-then maybe I'll put long johns on.

You mean if I bring snow and cold down there I won't be able to buy a beer!! Jeez, I gotta rethink this whole thing again...

I've got a set of stocking foot waders made out of wet suit material; use them to push the boat off sandbars in the spring when hunting beaver. Water isn't too cold, but the ice cuts through the other waders!!

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster