I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Could someone look at my static guide placements?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:42PM

It is said that rookie builders put too many guides on their fly rod blanks and I'm probably no exception. I know that in the static test, the taut line running through the guides should follow the curvature of the blank and that's where I stumble right off the bat. In between the guides towards the tip section of the blank, there has to be some acceptable amount of straight line underneath an arched portion of the blank. The problem I struggle with is what is acceptable, when are guides too close and when are guides too far away?

I started with Sage's recomendations - 5 7/8", 11 3/4", 18 1/8", 24"
and they look way too far away.
So I brought them in closer to 5", 10 1/2", 16 1/2", 23" and they still look too far away - I just don't know.

I've taken digital pictures of each version and am wondering if I could email them to someone that could tell me if the guides are are ok, too close, or too far apart. And because I want to use Pac Bay titanium coated single foot guides with the eye close to the blank I can't really invert the blank with the guides straight up and space them according to whether they touch the blank or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Could someone look at my static guide placements?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:54PM

Put a photo up on the photo page and see what everyone thinks.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 06:44PM

I tried to post a photo but as you can see, my photo uploading skills are about the same as my rodbuilding skills. I'm going to put the blank back into the bag and go watch football.

Posted by: joe klepeis (170.224.224.---)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:33PM

tim
do not give up two sponors to the left i know have guide spacing charts on their
sites st.croix and bingham enterprises this may help to get it worked out or get you in the wright direction.
joe.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:57PM

Tim,
Your guide placement looks pretty good to me. From what I can see on your photograph it appears that you have done a pretty good job. What length and weight rod is it? I would tend to err on the side of too few rather than too many just because of the weight considerations especially on a lighter rod but one guide more or less of the type you are using is not going to make a huge difference. Use light thread, short wraps and minumize the amount of epoxy especially toward the tip and you will be fine.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:58PM

I also think you're safe with what you have there. Your spacing even sounds pretty good to me. Better than what Sage lists really.

Posted by: joe klepeis (---.ia4.marketscore.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:17PM

tim
i third that looks good did not now you posted a photo,go for it.
joe.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:37PM

Tim, I'm with the others ......looks fine . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: John Raymond (---.prxy.klmz.mi.core.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:41PM

Tim how does it cast? John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.129.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2004 08:03AM

On light fly rods I put the first guide after the tip 4". On heavy I put it 5". The stripper guide, hold the rod as if you are going to grab line and start to cast. Where your hand hits the blank1-2" from there put your first stripper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster