I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line slap on retrieve
Posted by: steve walters (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:20PM

I have a 7' spinning rod I'm building, set up for a specific reel lined up properly to the choke guide, etc. It test cast great but with no or very lite pressure on the line the spinning reel is throwing the line out (centrifically) on the retrieve to the point it slaps the blank between the reel and first guide. The first guide is about half the spool diameter and is 23" from the spool. I don't suspect it will make any difference when fishing but doesn't make me happy either.
Any suggestions?
thanks, steve walters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line slap on retrieve
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:54PM

Rod-building wise: If the choker guide is at least 30MM and is of the high-frame style, like the Fuji Y-frame (BYAG,etc) and is half the spool diameter, it does seem unusual for the line to slap the blank. Moving it out to as much as 28" may work. Can you still try that, moving the choker forward? Don't wrap & epoxy yet. Keep testing, moving the choker about 2" at a time. Just wrap with masking tape or rubber bands.

Otherwise: The cold weather we all seem to be having right now makes ANY brand of monofilament a lot stiffer and "wire-y-er". It may be making this line slap tendency even worse. If you run tepid water over the line, it may absorb some water and improve the suppleness. A better brand of line may not have so much slap. And the judicious application of a light taming pressure from the tip of your casting hand's forefinger will help alot, and shouldn't reduce the casting distance much. You know, just in the path of the line, in front of the spool. It doesn't have to press against the spool. That will let the lure "pull" the line off the reel forward, rather than have it sproing off centrifugally, like you are saying. Also, if you laid the line on the spool by winding it yourself onto the reel, rather than have a spool machine do it at your tackle store, you may have introduced a horrendous amount of twist that is messing you up, that has nothing to do with your rod design, which sounds fine.

I hope that helps get your wheels of ingenuity going again, Steve. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2004 05:55PM

That kind of slap often happens when there is no load on the line, and/or if you're retriveing a test casting weight across a grass yard or field. It's of no consequence.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 21, 2004 06:15PM

Woops ! Your line slap is upon RETRIEVE, not casting. Sorry, I got that bass-ackwards. -Cliff-.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster